Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Router split but not by us

Last week we had an issue with our wifi, it had disconnected for around 5-10 minutes. That evening we couldn't set the house alarm (which is wireless). We've had to get the alarm engineer to come and have a look, turns out the alarm wasn't connecting to the wifi. The alarm has now been reconnected but to the original connection (5gz), not sure how when the password doesn't work.

In the meantime, our HP printer had also disconnected and now it won't reconnect.  It doesn't recognise the name of the router. Our laptops and mobiles are still connected though.

I have the original paperwork from when the broadband was installed and that's when I noticed that the original router name is now showing in the networks available list. Anyway I have looked at both wifi connection details and established that it is the same router, I managed to connect to the original named connection by pressing the button on the front of our router.  The wifi we use is set at 2.4gz and the original named connection (which has just appeared) is set at 5gz.  

I've spoken to a lady at Virgin Media and she tried her best to help and said she needed to look into it for me and ring me back. That was 2 days ago and we still don't have printer connection which is not ideal when working from home. 

What I would like to know is: 1, why do we now have two connections? We were happy with one. 2, why do they have different names? 3, forgot to mention, the original named connection was set to public. 4, If we have two different  connections, will one device talk to another device if not on the same connection? 5, Can we unsplit it? and if so, does it slow us down or loose connection on certain devices? What's the best option here?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router split but not by us

Just rename the 2.4ghz and 5Ghz bands to be the same (original) name again. Jon done. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.  

Can we name them both the same? if so, then will the password work for both? Also then would the wifi automatically move to band needed? 

I'm guessing no to all of the above but I'm just trying to understand it.  Also, why do you think it's happened? Can Virgin do this without consulting the customer? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes you can name them the same SSID with the same password and the devices will automatically steer themselves to what it believes is the best/strongest band to use.

Or you can name the SSID's differently to differentiate between the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands and manually connect devices as appropriate.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's great, thank you.  

How do I rename both to be the same?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Login to the hubs admin page (192.168.0.1) and then go to the Wireless Security page where you can rename them there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  I've been on our hub to change the names to be the same but I've noticed that the security is different. The 2.4G is WPA2-PSK and 5G is WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK. What does this mean?  Can I still rename as one if they have different security settings?  I've been reading up on it to try and understand that if I change to WPA2-PSK (for better security, right?) would this pose an issue for software updates? 

My brain hurts! And we're £60 out of pocket paying for a callout for house alarm reconnection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just rename them and set it it WPA2 and it will apply it to both 

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for help. I have successfully renamed to one with one password. I now have to try and get the printer to work but that's a HP Printer driver unavailable and not Virgin.
0 Kudos