Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Router reset for original password not working

Hi - anyone know how to reset router password when pressing pin reset at back of router doesn't work? Been on line to Virgin for over an hour but techies say they've never come across the reset not working before. Maybe I'm doing it wrong (press reset with pin/pen for 10 secs, then switch off and on) but I've done this twice and it still hasn't reset it back to the original password. Any ideas? 

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Router reset for original password not working

Try this
----------

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).
Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !
With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub (it is a six digit numeric one).
See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Genius @jbrennand! Followed your instructions, instead of those on Virgin website, and it has reset the password so can now get into router settings. Just need to work out how to back up the router's settings before changing to  WPA3! Many 😊 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Virgin Hub's do not support WPA3

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@MelJC wrote:

Genius @jbrennand! Followed your instructions, instead of those on Virgin website, and it has reset the password so can now get into router settings. Just need to work out how to back up the router's settings before changing to  WPA3! Many 😊 

Here you go ...

Hub-Backup

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ah OK, thanks 😊 

0 Kudos