Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Router red light on

I have just self installed a replacement router, the base light is permanently red and the VOIP telephone is not working, the WiFi is working fine. 

Any ideas please

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Router red light on

If you haven't already, try a pinhole reset using the small hole on the back of the hub.  If that doesn't solve the issue then you'll need a new hub, because the red light is an indicator of overheating.  Sometimes it's a fault with the LED or sensor rather than real overheating, but either way if the reset doesn't cure it, then it needs replacing.

Let us know how you get on with the reset, and if it isn't cured then the forum staff can probably get you a replacement.  You could try phoning it in, but some users have been told (incorrectly) that the red light is nothing to worry about, or that it will sort itself out.  Given how poor VM's telephone support is, I'd only try to speak with VM on the phone if prayer, voodoo and ouija boards have all failed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response, the problem is with a new router which I have self installed, I needed a new router due to the possibility of the old one being compromised due to me falling victim of a scam, I have tried the reset and it has not fixed the fault, also as I said in my original post the VOIP telephone is not working either, the WIFI is very good.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Has the Hub been activated ?

Hub Activation number on 0800 953 9500 

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Falling for a scam isn't going to do any harm to the router - even if you'd handed over the hub's admin password there's not much cheap con artists can do with that, and a pinhole reset followed by an immediate change of admin password would even eliminate that risk.  The phone issue I can't comment on, but if the red light remains on then you need a new hub simply because it is faulty.  

The forum staff will look in on this thread and advise on next steps but might take a day or two as they're not a first line support service.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No, there is nothing in the paperwork to indicate this is required.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Tinker2blue wrote:
No, there is nothing in the paperwork to indicate this is required.

I take it you mean activation ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes Mike, Activation. The number you gave me is in the troubleshooting section for problems with set up.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Tinker2blue,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with the hub.

I've been able to locate your account using your forum details and can see that you have an engineer arranged.

If you're unsure about the time and date of this you can view it via your online account here

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, the engineers visit is Monday, meanwhile I am trying to sort out the phone problem, we rely on our home phone and being without it all weekend is not great.
0 Kudos