Menu
Liveammo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Router rebooting attacks

My sons play rocket league and fortnite and claim one of their relatives/friends has their IP address and somehow manages to boot them from the game > which results to Modem reboot with 10-15 mins of wait time before everything is up and running again. I'm not sure what to believe but the other kids at some point previously admitted to doing this.

This has occurred several times according to my sons. Today I witnessed the same with zero access to the net.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Is it possible or am I experiencing network problems which are non-related to the above. Last reboot occurred today at 12:15am. If possible, how do I prevent this from happening in future.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router rebooting attacks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Another solution is to get your own router which will likely be more stable.  There are some marketed with gaming in mind.

Put the hub in modem mode

That will also give a new public IP address

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Liveammo
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thank you.

I'm definitely interested in investing in a dedicated router

Budget ~£100 but definitely open to push up to a max of £200 is needed

Not familiar with current options but currently looking here for ideas: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/n...router-9-top-wireless-routers-on-test-1090523

Currently we're using Virgin Medias Super Hub 3.0. It gets the job done but need something with wider coverage. We live in a detached house with thick walls. The Superhub is placed upstairs and we barely get a signal to half of the ground floor. To compensate i've been using a WIFI powerline adapters for over 10 years - cheapie options but it gets the job done (some occasional lag when gaming on the tele downstairs).

What would be the best solution for us? I have briefly looked into the Mesh network option but don't have any experience as to whether this would be right for us.

Other useful requirements:

- Preferably a device/setup supporting android phone app access to control/monitor home network.

- Not sure if it's possible, but an app with controls to limit/restrict access to certain devices at specific times (in short - limiting access for kids. They game like it's no tomorrow hence fixed time slots would be amazing)

Thanks in Adv

0 Kudos
Liveammo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks..

I have looked into the DDOS attack thing. Yep this looks likely. A relative of mine is suggesting there are website offering these types of services which are very popular amongst kids... a little tool to simply annoy others. I agree this is illegal and i certainly don't appreciate this type of activity. I have bookmarked the NCA link and will definitely inform them. 

At the router end - everything seems stable. I had a relative over today to run through the settings and he ran some tests. Hope he's covered all aspects as I;m not familiar with the technical side of things. 

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Liveammo wrote:

thank you.

I'm definitely interested in investing in a dedicated router

Budget ~£100 but definitely open to push up to a max of £200 is needed

Not familiar with current options but currently looking here for ideas: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/n...router-9-top-wireless-routers-on-test-1090523

Currently we're using Virgin Medias Super Hub 3.0. It gets the job done but need something with wider coverage. We live in a detached house with thick walls. The Superhub is placed upstairs and we barely get a signal to half of the ground floor. To compensate i've been using a WIFI powerline adapters for over 10 years - cheapie options but it gets the job done (some occasional lag when gaming on the tele downstairs).

What would be the best solution for us? I have briefly looked into the Mesh network option but don't have any experience as to whether this would be right for us.

Other useful requirements:

- Preferably a device/setup supporting android phone app access to control/monitor home network.

- Not sure if it's possible, but an app with controls to limit/restrict access to certain devices at specific times (in short - limiting access for kids. They game like it's no tomorrow hence fixed time slots would be amazing)

Thanks in Adv

My son does a bit of online gaming - we use a TP-Link Archer C7 - Been very happy with it! £60 (ish) from Amazon - Don't get the A7 - It's got Amazon's tweaked firmware in it to make it play nicer with Echo etc.. Who knows what else they have done!

Good range and great speed!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
Liveammo
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks lotharmat,

£60 sounds like a bargain!

Does it support monitoring/parental controls via phone apps to limit access to device internet? 

Also any recommendations for expanding coverage around the home with this setup? 

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yup - The tether app is pretty good and you can set up schedules for access and/or total access time.
Websites can be filtered with keywords

I live in a 3 bedroom semi with concrete walls - Coverage doesn't seem to be a problem at all to be honest!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos