forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
eSedano01
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Router range quickly degrading

In the last couple of months I've been experiencing an increasing degradation in router range of WiFi signal. Rooms in the house where the WiFi signal was powerful and the sustained connection speed had no problems whatsoever are now impossible to connect from. Although devices still appear as connected to the network, there's absolutely no traffic going through.

I discussed this with someone from the customer service but I got no reasonable answer at all. Just a template email about moving the router from behind TVs and nonsense like that. My router has been in the same place since I installed it, and there's been no other change to the setup. I have tried all proposed "solutions", turned it off and on again, reset the router to factory settings... Nothing works.

I can only assume this is an issue of the Hub's hardware degrading and failing to provide the same range as before. I would like to know what's the process for exchanging my current hub for a new one that actually does its work, as I WFH and I need a reliable connection speed at my desk.

sawbery
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router range quickly degrading

Hi eSedano01,
We are experiencing the same problem in addition to intermittent slow speeds which is a pain when you are on Teams.
I too tried customer services and the call handler told me to ring back later??????????
Hopefully someone will be able to help us from Virgin.
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router range quickly degrading

The hub3 is notoriously bad as a wifi router and you'll get fobbed off by the CS desk because "your connection is working fine, you need to move things closer to the hub" or "you have too many wifi devices" or something equally ridiculous.

I'm not sure that there are many genuinely "new" hub3's out there anymore - i suspect that manufacturing stopped some time ago as VM eventually start rolling the hub4 out more broadly (which if the reports here are anything to go by, is no better as a wireless router). 

You can ofcourse try to get a "new" one from VM but if you want reliable wifi then really the only way to go about getting it is to buy your own router/mesh system and put the hub into modem mode.. it's what many folks who come around here looking for answers about poor wifi do and they generally go away happy with their decision.