Menu
Reply
mags808
  • 13
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
298 Views
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Router problem since new contract?

Hi,

I renewed my contract for another 18 months, but now the internet keeps stopping on my phone and laptop and the kids as well. The wifi name that we connect to disappears and then takes ages to come back again. could it be the amount of devices as theirs about 12 altogether plus Tv is on wifi?

We have phones, laptop, tablets and xbox, oh and some Google Nest speaker things. It's so annoying the last week. I have turned the router on and off but still keeps happening.

Anyone help please. Thx

 

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.57K
  • 253
  • 379
Superfast
282 Views
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router problem since new contract?

 


@mags808 wrote:

Hi,

I renewed my contract for another 18 months, but now the internet keeps stopping on my phone and laptop and the kids as well. The wifi name that we connect to disappears and then takes ages to come back again. could it be the amount of devices as theirs about 12 altogether plus Tv is on wifi?

We have phones, laptop, tablets and xbox, oh and some Google Nest speaker things. It's so annoying the last week. I have turned the router on and off but still keeps happening.

Anyone help please. Thx

 



Firstly we need to ascertain whether it’s a problem with just your WiFi or if there’s an issue with the underlying link. Can you set up a BQM by following the instructions at this link.

once set up, post the sharing link back here.

next, please can you test what happens to a device that is connected via an ethernet cable directly to the hub.. does it experience the same dropouts or performance issues as the devices connected via wireless?

whilst connected via the cable, it’s also worth running a speed test at somewhere like samknows.

what speed are you contracted for?

what hub do you have?

once we’ve got a little more information about we should be able to give you some advice/pointers.

the vm hub is not a high quality device. Assuming that everything looks good from the above tests then the likely advice from the community here is going to be to invest in some better quality network equipment. 

 

0 Kudos
Reply
mags808
  • 13
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
239 Views
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router problem since new contract?

I will have a look at your link and try this afternoon. Sounds complicated 😕

The TV, I know is connected by wire and works fine. So must have internet as the weather app updated and you can use the various apps.

Broadband is 100mb and the black router is Super hub 2ac Wmg490.

What kind of equipment. How much do I need to invest?

 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.57K
  • 253
  • 379
Superfast
231 Views
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router problem since new contract?


@mags808 wrote:

I will have a look at your link and try this afternoon. Sounds complicated 😕

The TV, I know is connected by wire and works fine. So must have internet as the weather app updated and you can use the various apps.

Broadband is 100mb and the black router is Super hub 2ac Wmg490.

What kind of equipment. How much do I need to invest?

 

Thanks


It’s not as hard as you think.

as for how much, you can spend anywhere from £50 for a very basic solution through to many hundreds for a gold plated solution. I suspect that a £100-150 spend will sort your WiFi issues once and for all. 

it is worth checking that the underlying connection is good though, else you’ll still have problems no matter what you spend...

mags808
  • 13
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
220 Views
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router problem since new contract?

Just quickly tried this: 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/button/1610791531179510955.png

The other thing does not show anything, Will try again later.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Reply
tehwolf
  • 1.57K
  • 253
  • 379
Superfast
217 Views
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router problem since new contract?


@mags808 wrote:

Just quickly tried this: 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/button/1610791531179510955.png

The other thing does not show anything, Will try again later.

Thanks 


The “other one” I assume is the BQM and will take some time to populate.. it’s a graph over time, so it’ll show some data later on 😉

0 Kudos
Reply
mags808
  • 13
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
177 Views
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router problem since new contract?

I have managed to reset the router. Everything is working at the moment. Will see how it goes, if not will have to buy another router, although shouldn't really have to buy anything just to get broadband working properly. Never had to previously!!

 

0 Kudos
Reply
mags808
  • 13
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
173 Views
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router problem since new contract?

Also, Why has it started having problems from when I renewed my contract. No services were changed?

0 Kudos
Reply
mags808
  • 13
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
135 Views
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router problem since new contract?

Hi,

This is the BQM of my internet. Does it look Okay? Thanks;

 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/616b61a774230d6906a58a677f8a20e38b179922-17-01-2021
0 Kudos
Reply
apcyberax
  • 33.44K
  • 1.87K
  • 5.94K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
128 Views
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router problem since new contract?

after the 100% packet loss its looks fine since