Menu
PK20
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Router or modem

Have posted previously that I am getting a Netgear Orbi and have received conflicting advice about the state of the modem. Should the Virgin hub 3 be in modem or router mode to get the best use of the Orbi.....If I leave the Hub in the router mode will the Orbi boost the signal and If I pout it in modem mode will it generate a new wifi address.

Thankyou for the understanding around my confusion

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router or modem

Please keep to the one post - making multiples doesn't help matters.

You need to put the hub into modem mode, as explained in your umpteen other posts on the same subject.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router or modem

@PK20 wrote:

Have posted previously that I am getting a Netgear Orbi and have received conflicting advice about the state of the modem. Should the Virgin hub 3 be in modem or router mode to get the best use of the Orbi.....If I leave the Hub in the router mode will the Orbi boost the signal and If I pout it in modem mode will it generate a new wifi address.

Thankyou for the understanding around my confusion

You have two options.

1. Use teh hub in modem mode and let the orbi take care of everything

2. Use the hub in router mode and configure the orbi in access point mode. 

Option 1 is the recommended way of doing it.

If you go with option 2, then you should disable wireless on the hub, and let the orbi take care of that, but the hub will still offer gateway services (dhcp, NAT etc..)

0 Kudos