cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router moved, now losing service

keithj122
Tuning in

Two months or so ago Virgin compelled me to go over to digital land line. An engineer came and said the only way to do it was to move the router downstairs so that the phone could be connected to it. This also involved moving the phone to be nearer to an electric socket, and we also had to buy a new phone as ours was 'too old for digital'. Since then I've had frequent outages on my PC which is situated in my study in an upstairs room, often in the middle of something that I'm trying to do. Are the two connected, and if so is there any way of solving the problem (apart from moving PC downstairs which is impractical. I'd point out that none of the above was at my request, but at Virgin's insistence!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"I'm still waiting for a reply on my earlier post re speeds, which on the app read as 26mps next to the hub but down to 13mps upstairs near the PC - is that satisfactory or is that the problem?"

It illustrates what I think is the underlying problem - your wifi signal has degenerated over the increased distance and is now less stable.  What Hub model is it (printed on its base sticker) and what speed package are you on?

There are several options to getting a good signal on the PC all of which will involve you spending some money - or you can try the last option which relies on VM sorting it - and that may cost more too.  I have never relied on VM equipment to provide my wifi signal - I prefer to spend my money on some good quality equipment.

OPTIONS

1) Move the Hub back up onto the upstairs VM coax socket - remove and return the new phone and buy the one below.  Plug the master base unit into the hub socket and the second one -  just plug into a mains socket (no other connection needed) in the room most convenient for your wife.  That will work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Cordless-Button-Nuisance-Blocker/dp/B00DBWU2V6/

Or there are cheaper models available - but I use these - nice big buttons and block 100% of nuisance calls

2) Leave everything as is and just get 20-50m (~£10-15) of Cat6a ethernet cable and run it up from the Hub to the PC.  A handyman/electrician can do this if you're are not comfortable laying the cable discretely (under carpets, on the skirting board etc).

3) Get that pair of Powerline adapters to connect the PC - my son does this for all his activities upstairs and they work well.  See this example....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA4010PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration/dp/B0844VKK1L/

4)  The VM solution   I posted this earlier in the thread

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

HOWEVER...

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point, (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @keithj122 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the connection since the 21CV change. 

I've done a check and there's no issues showing at all, your levels are in spec also.

Is it just the one device you're having issues with? 

Please also try the Connect App When downloaded, you'll be able to do a wireless scan in the property that will identify any coverage issues and optimise them where possible. If a Pod needed, you'll be prompted to order.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@keithj122 

I am guessing that the PC is being connected on wifi and not on ethernet cable - is that right?  If so it just reflects that the wifi environment of it is now not good enough to maintain connectivity.

So see this post FYI

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (can you check if ethernet connected devices ok?),  if it is - then On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 30 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible - you are - it is clearly stated on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month for up to 3 pods (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point, (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply.

To confirm the problem is only with the PC upstairs.

I downloaded the app you suggested and did the scan.

Inthe living room it recorded 26 closets the router. I took two readings upstairs adjacent to the PC, one gave 22 the other 13, perhapsthat discrepancy explains the problem?

Keith J

Hi John and many thanks for your efforts in replying. To be honest I'm 76 and didn't really understand most of it aim very much non-techi! It sounds asif I need some new kit to get back to a reliable broadband service.

My main point is that the original changes that caused the problem were forced on me by Virgin, so surely they bear the responsibility for sorting it out! Perhaps that is naive of me!

Thanks again, Keith

PS Yes it is WiFi not Ethernet

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Best to get the PC cabled in,  Wifi is really too prone to problems.  If you can't get a cable installed, think about a couple of powerline adapters for ease of install.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly... its not VM forcing this change on you its the government regulations that are changing very soon (end of 2025?) so that the entire old style BT telephone network can be switched off and dismantled.  So everyone has to be VOIP by then.  You could have course just cancelled the landline part of your package and relied on mobile phones - that may not have been a bad option.

TBH - if I were you I would just buy a pair of good powerline adapters to connect the PC.  My lad is a serious internet gamer who thinks wifi is the work of Satan and should never be used for gaming. Ethernet cabling your devices is always the best way to go, but running cable to his room was problematic. So he uses a pair of Solwise AC1200 powerline adapters. His PC/Xbox/PS3 can now all be "wired" - with short Cat6 cables – back to the wireless router downstairs and he gets a solid 60-70Mbps on our V200 package - he hasn't complained once in years!

Worth considering whether that will work for your house on your mains circuits, the two circuits must go through the same consumer unit/fuse box (most do) and be free of any "noise". You can also add a wifi access point alongside to boost that up there as well. Or some PA’s have built in wifi too.

See...

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

They are easy to set up but the real cognescenti do frown upon them as they do limit connection speeds etc... but TBH my lad gets a perfect gaming experience and zoom meeting connections etc.

look at the TP-Link offerings - this a good basic model - plug one into the Hub and the other into the PC on short Cat6a ethernet cables

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010PKIT-Passthrough-Powerline-Configuration-Required/dp/B01G5Q9E0O/

See the two "review" links above for more example of these with additional "features", betters specs, wifi, etc

--------------------
John
--------------------

@jbrennand wrote:

Firstly... its not VM forcing this change on you its the government regulations that are changing very soon (end of 2025?) so that the entire old style BT telephone network can be switched off and dismantled.  So everyone has to be VOIP by then.

<snip>

Actually John, no, it certainly is NOT ‘government regulations’, OFCOM themselves are quite clear that this was driven by the telecom industry itself and all OFCOM did was to try to coordinate the timetable so as to avoid problems if everyone did their own thing. It’s bad enough when forum team members trot out this in an attempt to claim ‘oh no but it’s not us, it’s the naughty government making us do it’; without VIP members perpetuating it.

Anyhow, it is what it is, what I find more perplexing is that nobody has commentated on the deliberate lies that the visiting tech (I won’t dignify them by using the word ‘engineer’) told the poor customer.

An engineer came and said the only way to do it was to move the router downstairs so that the phone could be connected to it. This also involved moving the phone to be nearer to an electric socket, and we also had to buy a new phone as ours was 'too old for digital'.”

None of this is true, is it? Certainly more convenient for the tech and cheaper for VM, so was this a deliberate lie to save VM some money or a case of p*** poor training of the staff?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good point - I always blame the politicians. 👍

I just wonder.... did the tech leave the router's connection wall box (upstairs)  and simply install a second point downstairs to move the Hub to? 

If so... you could simply try moving the Hub back up to that connection point - and it should all still work (except the disconnected phone) .  Then... to maintain the land line you would need to move the new phones' master base station upstairs so that it can be plugged into the Hub socket.  Other DECT phones plugged in anywhere else in the house should just connect and work.

--------------------
John
--------------------

That's interesting. I did say to the chap you must need a lot of training and he said a couple of hours then followed another engineer round for a couple of days.

I couldn't really see why the cable to the telephone couldn't be long enough to connect from upstairs as there was already a Virgin cable following that route prior to the introduction of wi-fi.

So it looks as if my two alternatives are to 'abandon' the landline, (which my wife won't agree to !) or spend even more on a powerline adaptor..