Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Router has reset after maintenance in area

Hello,

For the purposes of security, let's say the following:

Our router's default password that it came with was: ORIGINAL123 - it's the one printed on the little card under the router.

We changed our router's password to: PERSONAL123

We've just had local maintenance by VM - received a letter end of Oct saying we may experience some outage for a minute or two - actually turned out to be all day - but it's back now anyway.

However, almost all our devices would not reconnect to the WiFi once the broadband signal came back. I tried 'forget' network on my phone (Pixel 4XL) and an Amazon Echo Dot and entered PERSONAL123, but it kept saying the password was incorrect. My smart TV however was connected fine, as was my laptop. We have another 11+ devices but they're all connected with router ethernet and WAP in an outbuilding.

Logging into 192.168.0.1 I saw that the WiFi password had gone back to ORIGINAL123. How can the maintenance in the street have caused this? It's the only thing that's happened since 8:30am this morning, when everything was fine, before the maintenance. More strangely, how could my TV and laptop still be connected using their stored PERSONAL123 password, when the router admin page was showing the ORIGINAL123 password?

I changed the router admin page password to PERSONAL123 and then went and reconnected all our devices.

Any ideas how/why this happened?

Also, if you have no broadband for a whole day is there any refund/compensation for it?

Thanks, JB.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Router has reset after maintenance in area

Probably due to a firmware update on the hub.

And no, compensation isn’t payable for planned works and outages. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi