Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Router failure

Hi,

My router keeps dropping off meaning we lose wifi, several times per day and sometimes for hours.

Connections seem to be fine.

Any advice?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router failure

Firstly, do devices connected on ethernet cable also drop off - or do they remain connected to the network. That is - is it a wifi only issue ? If you dont know can you test that?

Also by "Router" I assume you mean the VM Hub and not your own router - if so which model of Hub do you have?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes, ethernet connected devices also lose wifi. 

It’s the Virgin hub right enough.

Hub 3.0 shows on the base.

Brian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

OK try this so we can see some data,

First do a quick check that all of your coax cable's connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends – disconnect then and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Then do a Hub “pinhole reset” - with the Hub "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly and hold it there for 60 seconds – release the pin then leave it 10’ to stabilise. But, make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first !

If that’s all good.... Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button a second time).

Also, in the meantime. Set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@bmstevenson wrote:

Yes, ethernet connected devices also lose wifi. 

🤔how do ethernet connected devices also lose wifi

---------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ethernet connected wifi devices 😛 that makes sense 😛

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos