Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Router consistently losing connection

Hi All, 

My Virgin connection is going down several times a day now, pretty much every day.

Clearly some re-segmenting going on, but this is getting silly while I'm trying to work from home  

Can anybody tell me if these figures look right ?

Regards

Dave

Virgin Downstream.jpg

Virgin Upstream.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router consistently losing connection

What figures? Your images need approving.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I have approved your images.

Looking at your downstream connection yoou have some noise ingress, in cases like this I would go around and make sure all coaxial connections to all VM equipment are finger tight best way is tooo loosen the connector and then re-tighten, once that is done power off the hub for 30 secs and then back, if you then look at your downstream stats and see that the Post RS Errors are rising at a large rate then an engineer will be need to resolve.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Couple of quick questions , how would you categorise "rapidly rising" ?

If I need an engineer, obviously there is no point in trying to call VM, is there another way to request a visit ?

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There is no clear / confirmed Post RS Error counts per ho...

There is no clear / confirmed Post RS Error counts per hour or per day; it is a matter of judgement at the time.

I would say ...

In the first hour after a reboot and the Post RS Errors start going up keep an eye on them.

After 3 hours or so if the Post RS Errors are up into the 10s on one or more channels it indicates a problem.

After 24 hours if the counts are up in the hundreds or thousands you certainly have a problem.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: There is no clear / confirmed Post RS Error counts per ho...

You can use the Text service on 07533051809 - Do Not expect a reply within 24 hours.

Otherwise

150 from Virgin landline.

0345 454 1111 from any other UK  phone.

Or you can wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, are the Pre RS Errors relevant , 91 in the last 2 hours ?

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unless the rate of climb gets ridiculously high, not really.

The Pre RS Errors are the ones that the Hub fixes / overcomes, the Post are the unfixable at the time.

If the Hub spends too much time and effort fixing the Pre Errors it won't be doing it's prime job as a Modem.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Needing to reboot on a regular daily basis now, self test doesn't work, Virgin if you are listening, can I get an engineers please ?

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos