Menu
h1cks86
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Router Settings

1. What is smart Wifi and should I keep it enabled?

2. Which wireless mode is the best and whats the difference?

802.11ac, 802.11n/ac or 802.11a/n/c

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router Settings

Unless you have VM “pods” I would turn off smart WiFi, it does cause problems with some devices.

There is no “best” WiFi mode, the modes are dependant on what devices you are using to connect to the hub. All modern WiFi devices will use 8082.11ac. For a fuller explanation, search the web.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@h1cks86 wrote:

1. What is smart Wifi and should I keep it enabled?

2. Which wireless mode is the best and whats the difference?

802.11ac, 802.11n/ac or 802.11a/n/c

As Tudor has said.

'Smart' wifi on wireless routers can be useful - but often the algorithms in the software don't get it right and it causes issues.  If you don't have it enabled I recommend using a free wifi analyser app to determine what looks to be the best channels to use in your home - to avoid clashing with a neighbour.

I don't recognise '802.11a/n/c' but maybe that's what it's been listed as (did you mean 802.11a/n/ac ?) - 802.11 a, b, g, n and ac are the 'main' legacy standards - the fastest on VM hubs is currently ac which uses 5GHz.  If all your devices work OK you can use that setting - but if you have any older or more basic devices you may need the 'lower' settings for compatibility reasons.  There are various websites showing the different 802.11 standards, their speeds and evolution

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @h1cks86.

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your fist post.

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding this enquiry. We are glad to see that our community were able to answer this for you. You may also find the following useful https://www.virginmedia.com/help/intelligent-wifi .

Please let us know if you need any further help regarding this.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos