Menu
ToxicBatosss
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Router Replacement with Cable connection

Hello

I am looking for a more advanced router replacement for the Virgin Media Hub 3.

The problem is, my hub 3 is connected via a coaxial style cable from the wall sockets. Most router use a standard RJ45 ethernet input instead of coaxial cables style.

I was looking for routers from ASUS and Netgear but they don't have coax inputs.

Could anyone recommend a solution? Does anyone have a router with coaxial input ornis there an adaptor or something?

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router Replacement with Cable connection

@ToxicBatosss wrote:

Hello

The problem is, my hub 3 is connected via a coaxial style cable from the wall sockets. Most router use a standard RJ45 ethernet input instead of coaxial cables style.

I was looking for routers from ASUS and Netgear but they don't have coax inputs.

Could anyone recommend a solution? Does anyone have a router with coaxial input ornis there an adaptor or something?

You can access the HUB and change it to modem mode. This will then allow you to connect a third party router to it via ethernet. You will always need the HUB regardless of your setup.

0 Kudos
ToxicBatosss
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Oh I see.

So turn the Hub into modem mode, connect my router of choice into the Hub via Ethernet, and then connect all my devices into the new router? 

Would doing this effect the overall download/upload speeds or add latency? I'm looking for a 'more gaming style' router so to say.

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ToxicBatosss wrote:

Oh I see.

So turn the Hub into modem mode, connect my router of choice into the Hub via Ethernet, and then connect all my devices into the new router? 

Would doing this effect the overall download/upload speeds or add latency? I'm looking for a 'more gaming style' router so to say.

Correct. You must follow the below sequence for it to work as the HUB, when in modem mode, will only give one device an IP address, in your case it would be a third party router:

• Put HUB into modem mode and turn off.
  • Turn on thrid party router and wait for it to initialize.
  • plug HUB into 'WAN' port on third party router and power on.

When using a third party router you shouldn't lose any speed, since you are connecting the two devices via a gigabit ethernet connection.

Depending on which router you go for your wireless experience should be improved, keeping in mind rented kit like HUB 3s are built to budget.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ToxicBatosss wrote:

Oh I see.

Yes that’s correct.

“Gaming” routers are just marketing BS.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@ToxicBatosss wrote:

Could anyone recommend a solution? 

ZyXEL Armor G1 Multi-Gigabit AC2600 WiFi Router - Large Home Coverage. 1 x 2.5Gbps WAN Port, 4 x Gig...

or more advanced good upto around 400Mb TCP

Zyxel ZyWALL 1.0 Gbps Wireless AC UTM Firewall, recommended for up to 75 users - Hardware only [USG6...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The VM device that connects to the VM network is called a hub, not a router. That is because it comprises of 4 components, 1 modem (to essentially convert DOCIS coax signal to Ethernet), 2 router, 3 network switch and 4 Wireless Access Point.

You can turn off functions 2, 3 & 4 above and run the hub in what is termed ‘modem mode’.

Then you can connect your own devices that provide functions 2, 3 & 4.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos