Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Router Overload?

Good Morning,

I'm getting regular call drops when using WiFi calling on our three iPhones.

Router has been rebooted and reset, problem remains. All three phones have latest software.

Used the connect app to scan all rooms, all come back as 'Great' and phones show full signal.

Rescanned again at upstairs workstation, 'Great Signal' again.

Workstation is in bedroom directly above router, so would expect perfect signal anyway.

Wife is working from home at the upstairs workstation, and is getting regular call drops on her own iPhone connected via WiFi (Virgin 4g) and the same with her work iPhone connected via WiFi (O2 4g)

Have tried switching phones to Airplane mode, WiFi calls still drop, and switching to 4g only does work but we have a really low 4g signal and also lose those connection sometimes, and the 4g is too slow for Zoom meetings.

Before I buy a new router to try and improve things, any suggestion guys?

I am wondering if the Virgin V3 Router cannot cope with my system?

I have a total of 48 items connected to the Hub.

All 4 computers, NAS servers and media units are via ethernet, but there are 3 iPhones, 3 tablets, 2 cameras, Hive Hub, 2 Broadlink IR units, Home Alarm System, Somfy Hub and lots of smart plugs.

Could this be too much for the Hub to handle?

Advice appreciated

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Router Overload?

@johndm wrote:

Good Morning,

I'm getting regular call drops when using WiFi calling on our three iPhones.

Router has been rebooted and reset, problem remains. All three phones have latest software.

Used the connect app to scan all rooms, all come back as 'Great' and phones show full signal.

Rescanned again at upstairs workstation, 'Great Signal' again.

Workstation is in bedroom directly above router, so would expect perfect signal anyway.

Wife is working from home at the upstairs workstation, and is getting regular call drops on her own iPhone connected via WiFi (Virgin 4g) and the same with her work iPhone connected via WiFi (O2 4g)

Have tried switching phones to Airplane mode, WiFi calls still drop, and switching to 4g only does work but we have a really low 4g signal and also lose those connection sometimes, and the 4g is too slow for Zoom meetings.

Before I buy a new router to try and improve things, any suggestion guys?

I am wondering if the Virgin V3 Router cannot cope with my system?

I have a total of 48 items connected to the Hub.

All 4 computers, NAS servers and media units are via ethernet, but there are 3 iPhones, 3 tablets, 2 cameras, Hive Hub, 2 Broadlink IR units, Home Alarm System, Somfy Hub and lots of smart plugs.

Could this be too much for the Hub to handle?

Advice appreciated

Regards

Any more than 10-20 devices and the hub will start to cr*p itself.

So yes a better more powerful router wireless would be better. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is no maximum number of Wi-Fi devices that a Hub can support, depending on what each device is doing determines how many devices can be supported.

Think of it as mains water coming into your house and the fire brigade connect 10 hoses to the local water mains.

If they don't squirt water you can have a decent shower, if they start squirting the shower flow decreases, add a few more fire engines squirting water and your shower reduces to a dribble and the flow from each fire hose goes down as well.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Would have thought my M350 hose was big enough to hose down all my kit?

I'm wondering id the router can't do the job?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@johndm wrote:

Would have thought my M350 hose was big enough to hose down all my kit?

In a perfect world it probably would be but, I am guessing that your home hasn't been built to satisfy a Wi-Fi broadcast from a cheap Router.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), flooring / ceilings, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

But you will notice I have checked and double checked the signal strength in the entire house, and where a good signal is needed it is very strong and fast, but drops calls for no apparent reason?

Are you suggesting it is interference causing my problems?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It sounds like you have an ethernet switch or two in the mix?  I would try an proper PoE wired wifi access point in the "office", as it sounds like you need to be sure of decent wifi performance.  Ubiquiti AC Lite (expensive) or TP-Link EAP 225 (not so expensive) might do the trick.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

But if the router can't cope with all my devices I can't see how adding a Access point would help?

I can also get dropped Wi Fi calls downstairs when sat less than 1 metre from the Virgin Hub

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@johndm wrote:

But you will notice I have checked and double checked the signal strength in the entire house, and where a good signal is needed it is very strong and fast, but drops calls for no apparent reason?

Are you suggesting it is interference causing my problems?

Interference and blockage can come from hundreds of sources, The local authority / police CCTV camera atop the lamppost just outside my house sent my Hub 3 Wi-Fi into meltdown when it was being used. I purchased a Netgear R8000P, put the Hub 3 into Modem Mode and now have excellent coverage throughout my very old stone and brick ex farmhouse.

If Wi-Fi was any good ISPs wouldn't put ethernet ports on their Hubs !

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@johndm wrote:

But if the router can't cope with all my devices I can't see how adding a Access point would help?

I can also get dropped Wi Fi calls downstairs when sat less than 1 metre from the Virgin Hub

Yes, the only thing is you know your wifi will be 100% with a decent AP.  As for the Hub, suffice to say, in all my years with NTL/VM I've never used any of the supplied Hubs as routers.  They go straight into Modem mode, and I look after my own networking kit from that point.  A cheap and cheerful ISP supplied router is never going to win any awards for networking.