Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Router Keeps resetting

For the past two weeks firstly my router (V6) has been resetting at random times of the day. The first one was mid-meeting with my manager (currently working form home for the foreseeable future) but when it does occur it can be flicking internet on and off for up to about an hour until it seems to stabilize again. I have reset it, powered off for a few minutes and then back on a number of times and it's had no noticeable effect.

Secondly, during the day my Wifi upload/download speeds are atrocious. I pay for an upto 200mbs connection and this morning I had less than 1mbs and a ping of over 500. You can't be throttling that much, surely? My only wifi equipment are my mobile phone (which I use less than three metres direct LOS from the hub and works laptop which sits on the same desk as the hub! I am resorting to an ethernet cable for the laptop from tomorrow.

The first issue is the most distressing as after work, I like to pay Online MMO's (by the way my home PC is ethernet connected) ...so both important parts of my life are directly effected.

I sincerely hope you can fix both problems. I in-fact hope they are connected!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router Keeps resetting

Your router isn't a V6 - that's a TV box - so is it a superhub (which one) or a Hub3?

So is it really disconnecting (do you have a BQM?) or is it just wifi or a "speed issue"?

Re. the speeds - forgetting wifi for the moment, If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "to" the Hub are guaranteed. So, you need to do it directly.... that's on an ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connected to a Gb enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers with the Hub in modem mode. Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers. If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again. Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that advice on proper speed testing. I didn't need it to be accurate but can it really drop a upto 200meg connection to 0.1 at the device? Anyway, as I said, I planned to ditch wifi for ethernet. That's the 'speed' issue dealt with so I guess I answered my own problem there! The hub is a Hub3 which was a free upgrade at the same time as the V6 box arrived. So... to the resetting? Seems to be a daily event now, but not at the same times each day.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

First do a quick check that all of your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Next, you could try a Hub factory reset – a lot of the VM techies on here are suggesting it as a first option and it has worked for many customers.

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub (it is a six digit numeric one).

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos