Menu
hopmah
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Router Admin access SH3 hub connected to Linksys Velop AX5300

Hi

I have Virgin Media M500 service, using the SH3 Router/Modem. Port 1 is connected to the Velop AX5300 primary node using a Cat6 cable. Whilst setting up the new mesh, I left the SH3 in Router mode...

The AX5300 is connect via Cat6 to a second AX5300 some 50m away... my Apple computer is plugged into this AX5300, using a network cable, and both AX5300units are broadcasting a (very) strong) wifi signal on 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.

All is working fine, download speeds in excess of 456Mbps, uploads of 47Mbps.

Satisfied all is well, I went into he SH3 using 192.168.0.1, and changed the setting to Modem only mode. The light on the front is red/purple, all is working well.

However, I cannot access the SH3 anymore.

I am using 192.168.100.1 - as advised by Virgin, rather than the 192.168.01 - there is no connection.

I have disconnected my Mac from the LAN, and tried using only wifi to  connect, this does not work either.

As my Mac is in effect, connected directly to the router using wires, I don't understand what I cannot access 192.168.100.1

I have to change settings in the Virgin SH3 because my partners  company computer  settings using Cisco remote sometime play up, and a DNS/other config is sometimes required, hence the importance to be able to access the SH3 at all times.

My best guess is that that something is blocking/does not like 192.168.100.1

I really do not want to have to reset the Virgin SH3, back to router mode, make any changes I want to, then set it to modem mode again, and not be able to have direct access to it... 

All ideas welcome, thank you.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router Admin access SH3 hub connected to Linksys Velop AX5300

if the hub is in modem mode there would be no settings to change on it.
what is it you would need to be changing whilst the hub is in modem mode?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

if you are running in modem mode then teh velop is where you need to make these configuration changes..

hopmah
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the reply, I understand Velop MX5300 webpage is where various changes can be made - it is just I cannot access the Virgin SH3 hub, even when I connect my Mac directly to the SH3 and type 192.168.100.1.. as virgin tell me to...

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can't connect to the hub whilst another device is connected to it by cable when in modem mode.

Only 1 device will work

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@hopmah wrote:

thanks for the reply, I understand Velop MX5300 webpage is where various changes can be made - it is just I cannot access the Virgin SH3 hub, even when I connect my Mac directly to the SH3 and type 192.168.100.1.. as virgin tell me to...

When in modem mode, the hub only has one active ethernet port, if the velop is connected and working, that will be the only one (so plugging your MAC in as well wouldn't work...)

It could be that the velop is blocking traffic in the 192.168/16 network from leaving the WAN interface (which isn't uncommon - as 192.168/16 is all private address space, it has no business being on the WAN side of the network).

as i've never touched a velop though, it's hard to know for sure.

For testing purposes, you could switch the hub off, disconnect teh velop system, plug your MAC directly into teh hub via ethernet and then switch the hub back on - once booted a) your MAC will have a public IP address and b) it should be able to naviagate to 192.168.100.1

spgray
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@hopmah wrote:

I really do not want to have to reset the Virgin SH3, back to router mode, make any changes I want to, then set it to modem mode again, and not be able to have direct access to it...

you wouldn't be doing this anyway, as whenever you re-enabled modem mode it would wipe any of those settings you made in router mode, as they are not applicable in modem mode.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
hopmah
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your answer.... I ended up disconnecting the Vela MX5300 from the SH3, and, as you said, connecting my Mac directly to the LAN port. I re-booted the Virgin SH3... still cannot access 192.169.100.1

Have put everything back 'as was'  reconnected Velop, all working well - as family arriving home - so will have to investigate more when there is no wifi demand... 🙂

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You might want to do a 60 second pinhole reset on the hub and set it up into modem mode again 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos