Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Roku Express (3900x) no wifi connection to Virgin HUB4

Hi Recently had a HUB4 installed from Virgin (uses wave 2 802.11ac WiFi standard, including 3×3 MIMO on the 2.4GHz band and 4×4 MIMO on the 5GHz frequency) now my Roku Express 3900x (which uses connectivity IEEE 802.11b/g/n) will not connect over wifi to the HUB4.

No ethernet connection option on my Roku and tried disabling the pings on the Roku also with no result.

Would there be a firmware update on the Roku Express to resolve this wifi issue ? or option to get Virgin to tweek config in the HUB4 somehow ? or do i blitz the HUB4 and ask Virgin to downgrade me back to their HUB3 where the wifi with the Roku seemed to work.

Any advice on possible steps to solve welcome

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Roku Express (3900x) no wifi connection to Virgin HUB4

@tshuk1 wrote:

<snip\>

Would there be a firmware update on the Roku Express to resolve this wifi issue ? or option to get Virgin to tweek config in the HUB4 somehow ? or do i blitz the HUB4 and ask Virgin to downgrade me back to their HUB3 where the wifi with the Roku seemed to work.

Any advice on possible steps to solve welcome

Roku streamers update software automatically over the air, so they are always up to date. I don't think any firmware update will resolve the old wifi hardware on the Roku.  You may have to buy the latest model which has ac wifi.

VM will not update the Hub 4 just for this.  I'm not familiar with the Hub 4 and don't know if you can set the 2.4 wifi for legacy (b/g/n) wifi?  If not, you may have to go back to the Hub 3 or use modem mode and get a better router or mesh system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for reply, seems strange Roku was fine on HUB3 and stopped on HUB4.

If I move the Roku 3 feet from HUB4 works but says poor signal, if I move Roku back to bedroom where it worked fine with HUB3, it cannot wifi to the HUB4 at all.

Have spent almost days trying to get through to Virginmedia by phone and takes 3 hrs each time being passed from front line, to 2nd line to 3rd line, seems unlikely to regress back to HUB3 as not part of strategy, but still pushing for help, as this is £25 Roku which works fine until  HUB4 so do not want to pay for a new unit when issue is down to Virgin supplied HUB4.

Even stranger my Lenova Laptop which has the same wifi spec as Roku, works fine from bedroom to HUB4.

Also can get no response from Roku support, happy to go for a new Roku if Virgin or Roku can give me a voucher to replace my old unit (no hope 😞 

Will let you know if any avenue resolves issue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Have you optimised/refined the Wi-Fi on the Hub4?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Downgrade your speed go back to the hub 3 but it be faster to get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have IP'd into the HUB4 config - no obvious issues or incorrect settings that I can see - please define your comment "optimised/refined" also do you know anyone who knows Roku Express inside/out ?

The HUB4 works on 2 waves 2.4 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz, could that be confusing the Roku which only works at 2.4 Ghz

I was shocked to discover that Virgin cannot config HUB4 by remote, has to be done locally (by me)

Advice welcome

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi
Not sure the HUB4 has a modem mode

Many thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@tshuk1 wrote:
Hi
Not sure the HUB4 has a modem mode

Many thanks

Yes, it does.

Try splitting the SSID into two, one for each band:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Okay - thx, will investigate, but the idea of buying wireless router on top of existing charged kit from Virgin seems a bit over kill, still waiting for a reply from Roku forum to see if any reolution ideas from that side.

Cheers
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@tshuk1 wrote:
Okay - thx, will investigate, but the idea of buying wireless router on top of existing charged kit from Virgin seems a bit over kill, still waiting for a reply from Roku forum to see if any reolution ideas from that side.

Cheers

Try what I suggested in the above edited post first.

0 Kudos