cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting network bandwith

FAUSMAUS
Joining in

Good evening everyone, I've recently upgraded to the 1gig internet, I have no issues with it whatsoever, "Bit pricey" xD But i only upgraded and swallowed the price because my other 3 house mates agreed to chip in for the price. Well they didn't and know my own pocket is being affected. They all kill the internet phones's gaming computers etc, And i wanted to know if i could limit there bandwitdh, making the majority of the internet my way, the 2nd port from the box connects to a plug socket connecter which runs into each room, If i could restrict that down considerably until they realise there ways id be much apprecciated, 

2 REPLIES 2

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately there is no way you can restrict bandwidth to particular devices on VM hubs. By your description they seem to be saturating the WiFi. If this is correct perhaps some of their devices could be connected via Ethernet cables. 
Options, 1) get your own router that has facilities to restrict bandwidth to devices 2) if it mainly WiFi access you could get a Wireless Access Point, set up new SSIDs on it, use different channels from the VM hub and use this exclusively for yourself.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

paultechy
Alessandro Volta
I would recommend getting an Asus router since decent models can do bandwidth limitations ->https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013333/ just depends on budget can recommend, are other routers that can do QoS quality of service but most just deal with limiting speed to e.g. youtube, netflix etc