Menu
phillipdngtn
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Resetting Hub 3 every morning

Hi!

Is it normal to have to reset the Hub 3 every morning to make sure we have reliable connections for the day?  I'm finding that if I don't switch off the Hub, unplug the electric cable, wait for a couple of minutes then plug it back in and switch it on then we have awful wifi during the day with devices being chucked off at random.  

Before Christmas Virgin renamed the 5G network to make it have a different name and made us connect everything to that instead of the 2G but that workaround has stopped working - in fact the 2G network is now the most reliable, we rarely manage to connect anything to the 5G network.

This workaround doesn't work all day, e.g. in the morning I will get speeds of 140mbps+ but by the end of the working day I'm lucky to get 9mbps.  There's nothing worse than being in a Teams meeting only for the wifi toolbar icon to popup with a yellow exclamation mark.

It's not just me that's affected but all devices - even our printer was chucked off yesterday!

I've tried many, many times to get hold of Virgin but have yet to be successful.

Any further help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Phillip

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Resetting Hub 3 every morning

Reset the 2.4/5 GHz SSID's to what they were before like this.

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in http://192.168.0.1 into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity, Then, apply settings and restart the Hub. Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos