Menu
Shamrock1880
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Rerouting Broadband question

I need to relocate my broadband superhub from my downstairs living room to my upstairs bedroom, since working from home has become the new normal for most of us, my bedroom has doubled up as the office and unfortunately homeplugs just aren't cutting it. How do I go about arranging this, how much does it cost, and is it even possible just now due to current restrictions ?

Cheers folks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rerouting Broadband question

Its £99 as a no fault call out.

You could get the same result cheaper if you can run an ethernet cable from the Hub up to the bedroom and attach all equipment to that (through an Unmanaged GB Ethernet port switch).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Shamrock1880
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi John, its an option certainly, but I'd rather avoid the cable running through the whole house if I could avoid it. The question was more would it be done under current guidelines or would i need to hang fire and wait till lockdown eases

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Shamrock1880 wrote:

Hi John, its an option certainly, but I'd rather avoid the cable running through the whole house if I could avoid it. The question was more would it be done under current guidelines or would i need to hang fire and wait till lockdown eases

Good question and I’m not certain tbh. Tho they are doing new installs as far as I know... whether that stretches to doing work to relocate existing routers... /shrug you’d have to ask VM.

Honestly tho, for £100 you’re better off buying a better router or mesh system that would solve the problem without relocating the router. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Shamrock1880 wrote:

I'd rather avoid the cable running through the whole house if I could avoid it.

You can use exterior grade cable and run it outside - just need to be creative about getting it out and then in again.  I havent done it myself but could do so easily because there is a "perforated air brick" in the room with the Hub and another in our front bedroom that a cable would pass through easily with no drilling or long internal runs.

Obviously not an option for everyone though - tehwolf's suggestion possibly is though 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos