Menu
westwood749
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Replacement hub 3 power cable

My kittens have chewed through the power cable on my hub 3, how do I order a replacement? 

It's not all the way through but I can see the copper core so is unsafe for use. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Replacement hub 3 power cable

The mains cord on a hub 3 power supply is a standard 2 core type (IEC 60320 C7) 'figure 8' - used on various equipment including radios, Blu Ray players, TVs and so on.  You should be able to get one from various electrical shops and sites such as Amazon.  You may already have such in the house, at least to use temporarily?

Is that the cable that has been damaged - from the wall socket to the power 'brick' - or is it the other cable (DC cable) which goes from the 'brick' to the hub, and is molded into the power brick?

All that said, since it's VM equipment it's best to get a replacement from Virgin Media - call VM customer care or wait for a forum rep to respond here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If it’s the cable from the “brick” to the hub it’s low power, so as a temporary measure you could just put some tape around it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
westwood749
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's the thinner cable which connects into the hub and had the brick section in it

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@westwood749 wrote:

It's the thinner cable which connects into the hub and had the brick section in it

In that case it's a low voltage cable (12 Volt, not mains) so not really a safety risk (more of an issue if the two wires were shorting) - put some tape round it.

(I've soldered/heat shrinked such damaged cables - but I'm an electrical engineer, so have the skills to do such)

Otherwise you'll need a replacement hub power supply unit from Virgin - ring or wait for a forum rep.  They will likely charge you for it.

Hopefully the kittens won't touch it again - had they chewed the mains lead they may have used one of their nine lives...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
westwood749
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I purchased some plastic cable wrap today and have put that around it for the time being, but ultimately I think a replacement is the safest and best option. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll give them a call at some point to get it replaced, just not looking forward to being on hold for hours. 

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @wstwood789.

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I can get a new cable sorted for you,  I will pop you over a PM so that I can confirm your address. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you for confirming that information via PM 

That is all sorted for you, If I am able to assist further then please do let me know. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

westwood749
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Great news, thanks for the assist

0 Kudos