Menu
jatmosphere
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Replacement Hub

I received an email regarding the collection of an unused hub (Your Ref:683764) in October last year. The engineer arrived a few days later and I informed him that I hadn't yet installed the replacement hub. He then asked that I give him the new hub, as it hadn't been 'activated' for my line and assured me that another replacement hub would be sent to replace my the faulty equipment installed ASAP. FYI - The original issue was that the first hub had stopped working via Wi-Fi so only cabled lan connections would function. A huge inconvenience.

I foolishly agreed to allow the engineer to take the new equipment away and have since not had any replacement hub sent nor any response to emails requesting this be resolved.

How do I get in contact with Virgin to resolve this issue and get a new hub with working wifi sent out? None of the options in the usual customer services are are relevant to this issue.

Please help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Replacement Hub

If the wifi on the Hub is broken just call it in as a fault and when you get through they will check it remotely and then send a replacement. Call it in on 150 (VM Phone - free) or 0345 454 1111 (any other phone - national rate). Calling at 08.00 midweek (09.00 Sun) is the best time to get through quickly. Although some people are still reporting getting through fine at other times with no long waits.

Also if the Hub still provides a solid connection via ethernet cable connected devices (does it?) then you could put the Hub into modem mode and use your own wireless router (delivered tomorrow from Amazon 🙂 ). This is arguably the best set up anyway (and its what I and many others on here do).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi jatmosphere, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience. When the engineer came, if a new Hub was needed, he would of replaced it. 

Checking the account today, the Hub is showing online and all is looking good however I'm not able to check the WiFi side of things as the Hub is currently in modem mode. Have you plugged in your own router or are you still having issues with the WiFi connection?

Let us know. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jatmosphere
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

However, there ARE still issues with my setup and I desperately need help fixing the problem.

To clarify - The first issue occurred when the wifi service from my virgin hub 3.0 stopped working. At first it seemed as though the hub was totally unusable but saw a post online describing a similar issue and to try to run the hub in modem mode - to see if that part worked. It did, so I was only able to use (lan) cabled connections to get online. As I use multiple devices, some of which like my work laptop have no RJ45 connection available, for work and entertainment, this mean that I could only connect to the internet via an old desktop PC. 

Knowing that virgin would not be able to fix this instantly, I bought a tp-link hub to connect to my home office and start being able to use other essential networked devices. However, the only point at which I can create this setup leaves the main part of my house and living area without wifi, so mobiles/security devices/thermostats/smart TVs etc. are not connected as they were when the virgin hub was working properly.

I've been able to get by as the essential need for broadband is for work, but not having any wifi in the house because of the faulty virgin hub is really frustrating and has been causing issues for months and months. 

I need the virgin hub replaced so I can go back to that providing the house with wifi ASAP.

Virgin did acknowledge the problem once and sent a new hub which I was not able to get working. Then an engineer arrived to collect the old hub (assuming i wasn't using it anymore). I explained that the hub was currently connected and that the new one hadn't worked when
I tired to install it. He then requested to take the replacement hub and assured me that another would be sent and that once activated I shouldn't face any more problems. I suspect he was misinformed or intentionally misinforming me as nobody contacted me since and from your message virgi9n clearly think everything is working fine.

Please help. Its been a rough year and I'm not the only peron here who relies on the internet for work etc and being confined to one room to use it is not the service we signed up for.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help resolve this and would happily speak on the phone to help get this moving ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

JT

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jatmosphere, 

Thanks for your reply, 

Ask Kath advised the tech would have replaced the hub if needed.

Can you please give us an idea of what issues you are having is it just wifi? Is it dropping? Does it connect but is slow?

Can you post a BQM and network logs so we can take  look at what is causing this 

Thanks,

Zoie

Zoie
0 Kudos
jatmosphere
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zoie,

Thanks for your response.

The wifi simply stopped working on the virgin hub. I don't know what the cause was. I tried all the usual jazz including a factory reset etc. but the wifi never worked since. It was usable when put in to modem mode at which point I could use a cabled connection from the virgin hub to a desktop PC.

I also mentioned in my previous post that virgin did acknowledge the hub not to be working correctly and replaced it a long while ago now. However they took the new hub back before it had been connected (and activated?!) so I'm still stuck with the faulty one that only works in modem mode.

So to clarify - I can only use the hub I currently have connected in modem mode. The actual connection is fine and I have a hub operating in a home office at the bottom of my garden but do not have any wifi in the main part of my flat where all my other devices require wifi. It used to work fine and because of the time it stopped working someone suggested it might have been a hub update gone wrong.

Further to your requests/suggestions - I wasn't able to complete a BQM as my firewall seems to want to block it and I don't think I have the technical skills to resolve this myself. I'm also not able to interrupt this connection during working hours due to work commitments for my partner as well as myself. I'll try to do this at some point soon. I also don't know how to provide you with network logs.

But really, this all worked well at one point. Then the wifi wasn't working. I've seen other people in forums suggesting they got theirs replaced or just went on with using the hub in modem mode only. This just doesn't give me what I need without having to spend more money I don't have on more hardware i don't know how to use.

Sorry if this all seems a bit clueless but I'm just not very knowledgeable in this area. I can do the usual tests and factory rests to get things back from the brink - but other than that I'm just lost and really want the hub replaced so I can go back to how it was.

Thanks again and for any further advice you can give me.

JT

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @jatmosphere,

Thank you for expanding on this.

Would you mind just clarifying what you mean when you say it's only usable in modem mode? Are you saying that when not in modem mode you get no connection or service whatsoever from the router?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jatmosphere
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thats right Zach. Even when in the mode to allow wifi, cabled (LAN) connections don't work. But when I switch it to modem mode only it works for cabled connections and currently how it is being used.

Thanks for the reply. LEt me know if there's anything else I can answer to get to the bottom of it.

JT

0 Kudos
Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi jatmosphere,

Thanks for confirming those details for us! I'm going to book another engineer appointment for you, so that our engineer can take a look at your Hub, and replace it if necessary!

I'll just need to confirm some details with you via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
0 Kudos