cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace VM Hub 3.0 with third-party cable-modem

Richard_Mahony
Tuning in
  • Replace VM Hub 3.0 completely with third-party cable-modem (cable-gateway) eg Arris G54 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Modem & Wi-Fi® 7 Router. Replace outright VM Hub 3.0 in cable-modem only mode with 3rd-party cable-modem.
  1. As far as possible, I like to have complete control over my electronic devices, software, firmware, and security settings. I don't trust VM to look properly after my security and privacy.
  2. I like learning about how things work, especially networks, in precise, rigorous and minute detail (in another life, after completing a physics degree, I worked briefly as a building services design graduate electrical engineer).
  3. I live in a Grade II semi-detached cottage, two/three floors, thick brick walls with ancient electrical cabling installed in 1930s, very limited socket outets. Download speed at VM Hub 3.0 is 385 Megabits/second. Twenty feet down corridor it's often less than 10 Mbits/second.
  4. Various review websites extol the technical virtues and cost savings of replacing entirely the ISP provided cable-modem (technically, cable-gateway) with the latest DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem of one's choice.
  5. I know that in principle I can switch my VM cable modem/router Hub 3.0 into cable-modem only mode, plus my own router. I'm not asking for advice or info about that option here.
  6. Rather, what I don't understand is why it seems that VM UK has decided/chosen to make it technically impossible or infeasible to replace outright the VM cable modem with a third-party modem or gareway/modem/router of the VM customer's choice.
  7. For example, if I were to buy the latest Arris Surfboard cable modem (G54 SURFboard® DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Modem & Wi-Fi 7 Router) when it becomes available later this year, why won't VM allow me to use this device in lieu of my VM Hub 3.0? Or the first DOCSIS 4.0 cable modem, when it's released? Or a Tomato firmware cable-modem?
  8. Is it for  DOCSIS® 3.1 Gigabit technical reasons, VM specific technical reasons, VM specific support reasons, network compatibility, difficulties of troubleshooting, or what?
  9. What device data values/settings, eg cable-modem MAC values, serial number etc, would VM need for the VM customer to give VM to allow the VM customer to use their own third-party cable-modem instead of the VM cable-modem (or to put the VM cable-modem in modem only mode)?
  10. Given that it seems the VM Hub 5.0 is still in short supply, why does VM not let the VM customer install their own DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem (or DOCSIS 4.0 cable-modem when it becomes available) such as the Arris G54 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Modem & Wi-Fi® 7 Router?
  11. Looking at the UK, the US, and Australia, it seems that only VM insists the customer stick with the ISP supplied cable-modem in modem only mode.
  12. If I'm wrong, missing or misunderstanding vital issue, then please correct me. Cheers.
5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

No you can't if modem mode is not enough for you look at another ISP 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Not a helpful answer AV. If you don't understand the technical issues here then say so or refrain from commenting. Of course, I have looked at other ISPs. In Castle Street, Portchester PO16 9QX, VM has had a cable-modem monopoly for many years, even though BT laid their fibre optic cable in street pavement duct in 2002. BT only offers ADSL over POTS copper telephone cable, so very slow. Slower than I got in Cairns twenty years ago in 2003.

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

VM have no legal requirement, to allow third party cable modems on their system, and by not doing so, makes it vastly easier to prevent, ‘unauthorised’, ie ‘free’ access to their network!

And until one or both of these changes, then it’s a show stopper. 

carl_pearce
Community elder

You may think it wasn't a helpful answer, however there is no other!

IPFreely
Fibre optic

Bit late to the game here but given the OP I thought it merited a longer response.

1) The Hub or a full-fibre equivalent isn't your electrical device, it's the demarcation between the VM or another provider's network and your home. Full fibre you have to use the provider's ONU.
2) Using your own cable modem won't help with this. If you want to see the spectrum you can buy a cheap cable modem with a full spectrum analyser and use a splitter to connect both that and the VM hub. I have one somewhere from when I was on VM which I used to show them a fault.
3) Use WiFI repeaters / access points. WiFi 7 won't really help you much in the grand scheme.
4) Those websites are American. In the USA cable companies are obliged to allow consumers to use their own modem. Outside of territories where it's a legal obligation no cable company permits it.
5) Oki doke.
6) Security and support. Security from many points of view: theft of service, inadvertent denial of service, bypassing the access lists on the supplied modem to mess with other users, etc. Support they control and may access the modems. 
7) See 6). Also the Arris if it's a US modem will NOT work with European networks.
😎See 6).
9) MAC, some other TLVs and the signed certificate from the original modem - which they can't provide.
10) See previous, you've asked the same question quite a few times now.
11) No, Australia's NBN requires use of their cable modems - the NBN call it the 'Connection Box'. The USA and I think Canada are about it for cable companies where one can bring their own and they do their utmost to discourage it.
12) Mostly done. Even if you owned the modem you couldn't see interesting stuff on it, just power levels, SNR, and that kinda thing. The modems are built with the cable side closed off and manageable only by the cable company. To actually get at the guts of the device you'd need to physically open it up and gain console access via a serial cable connected to contacts on the board. If you want to learn how the tech works see https://www.cablelabs.com/specifications/search?query=&category=DOCSIS&subcat=&doctype=&content=fals... and the other specifications on that site.