Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Repeater Router

Hello all, I was wondering how I would go about setting up a repeater router to go along with my Hub 3.0? I have an old router ready to go and in my admittedly small amount of research, it would seem the only way to set up a repeater router is by having an ethernet cable connecting the two routers. Is there any way I could avoid this as I do not want cables running through my house? If so, what would be the following process to set up the repeater router? Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Repeater Router

Hello

The only way is with a cable or purchasing Powerline adapters which will transfer the Ethernet signal across the mains, can have varied speeds due to the nature of mains cabling i.e. age, on the same circuit, other devices on the circuit especially fridges etc.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response. The room I wanted the repeater router in is on a different circuit to the main router, would that render a powerline adapter useless or would it still be a worthwhile investment but just not as effective as if it were on the same circuit?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I myself run powerlines across multiple circuits and there can be a huge drop in speed, on the powerlines I get about 10th of the speed across them, so on a normal wireless I get around 200mbs but over the power line get only 20mbs There are so many variables that can affect them from age of wiring etc.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

A mesh system would be better or run some wired AP’s around each floor. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi