cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming Network: Won't connect

Jonny118118
Joining in

Hi, so today at 13:15 our router decided to stop providing a WiFi signal. No devices would connect to the Internet. I rang technical support & they got me to reset the router. All worked fine on default settings. 

When I try to rename the router to our original name (so everything reconnects) it accepts it, but no devices can successfully connect. It just says connection failed. I've tried forgetting the network & reconnecting but it just gives the same error, Connection failed. 

Any ideas? It was working fine until 1315 today! 

Tia. 

9 REPLIES 9

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You mean changing both the SSID and password? And which hub is it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

New firmware and VM like defaults

If you must change the SSID look to get your own router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, we changed the SSID & Password. Always do on routers. It's Hub5x. 

Thanks. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible. NOTE this will remove any custom settings you may have set in the Hub, and they will all have to be setup again.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

This is what I've done about 5 times now. It works fine on OG settings, once reset. Devices can connect.. but once I change it to our custom SSID & Password, all the devices show either: Connection failed or gets stuck on "obtaining IP address" 

Client62
Legend

Good to hear from you.

Hub 5x for XGS-PON is what we are very keen to read about but so far, very few are hands on with it.

How about leaving the Hub 5x parked in the default Wi-Fi configuration and adding a Wireless Access Point (or a Wi-Fi Router in AP mode) that can be configured to offer your preferred SSID to serve your equipment.

Perhaps the Hub 5x allows its Wi-Fi to be disabled when not required.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The hub 5x is barely out of the trial stage so there are features which will only work when future upgrades are applied.

--

Ah, so they could've had a fault & pulled the feature for now, until its working again 🤷‍♂️ 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Perhaps, but changing SSID would not have been a priority test for the hub 5x as the key thing would have been to get it working with XGS-PON. It's very possible that some features were disabled for trial purposes but will get enabled at some unknown point in the future.

--