cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Desktop to server on same network not working with new Hub 4

troopydoopy
Tuning in

Just installed a new Hub 4. With the Hub 3 I was able to connect to a server that is connected to the hub with an ethernet cable, with a remote desktop app on my mobile phone (on the same network).  I can no longer make the connection with the Hub 4 in place.

The Hub 4 shows the server as a connected device.
I can't ping the server by hostname or IP address from any device connected to WiFi on the same network.
I can still access the files on the server via the mapped networked drive on my laptop.

I don't remember configuring anything specific on the Hub 3 for it to work so what is the Hub 4 doing differently?

19 REPLIES 19

on another device (probably a pc/mac, since i'm not sure how you'd do this on a mobile device/tablet), can you check that you can see the machine that you're trying to connect to in the arp table.

In windows, this is achieved by opening a command prompt and typing "arp -a" - check that you have an entry for the computer in question and an associated MAC address.  This will confirm the underlying network connectivity is in place and that the device can be seen on the network.. the output will look something like:

Interface: 192.168.1.188 --- 0xb
Internet Address    Physical             Address Type
192.168.1.1         **:**:**:**:**:**    dynamic
192.168.1.2         **:**:**:**:**:**    dynamic
192.168.1.4         **:**:**:**:**:**    dynamic

assuming that you see the device in the listing then the hub is doing what it should be doing and there are only a couple of plausible explanations as to why it's not working..

1. the hub is not passing network traffic between the wireless interface and the hardwired interface (seems unlikely, but entirely possible).  You could verify this by attempting to connect from another wired device.

2. there's some sort of firewall on the device that is stopping other devices connecting to it and/or the remote desktop server daemon is not running

Thanks.  I won't be home for a few days so will try that when I get back.

Regarding your other points...

1. With my laptop also connected to the Hub 4 with an ethernet cable, it still can't see the server.  However the laptop can see the other devices connected to the Hub 4.  All ethernet cables have been checked and confirmed as working.

2. With the Hub 3 in place, everything is fine and the server can be seen on the network.  I confirmed this by switching back to the Hub 3 temporarily a couple of days ago.

interesting.

it's pretty basic functionality - very simple switching - it's possible that there's an issue with the hub - did you try connecting the server in question to a different port on the hub4?

Yes, tried the server in different ethernet ports on the Hub 4.

I've received some advice from another source; it might be that the firewall on the server has detected a change to the gateway and has shutdown access to the network.  I will investigate that when I get home but it sounds like a good possibility.

RDP is not secure...VM know this...VM play god with hubs firewall to block RDP... everyone is safer.😇

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the firewall is a possibility, let's know what you find out. For infomation I also have a server (a Synology) which has the firewall disabled, no problem at all.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

asim18
Fibre optic

I don't think it can be the hub's firewall? Firewalls built into internet modems generally only firewall the NAT/WAN port.

It's the built in Windows firewall. Whenever you connect a windows PC into a new network it will ask you whether it is a home/work/public network and will adjust the built in firewall to suit.

In some cases when you connect to a new network (the hub 4 in your case) it will not display the dialogue where you can select home network, instead it automatically selects public network, and thus blocks much more traffic to that particular machine including RDP.

You need to make sure your network type is set as Home network in the Windows network settings.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@asim18 wrote:

It's the built in Windows firewall. Whenever you connect a windows PC into a new network it will ask you whether it is a home/work/public network and will adjust the built in firewall to suit.

built in firewall says all

rdp all.png

Plus a firewall should not have profiles only rules

---------------------------------------------------------------

@asim18 I did say the server firewall, not the Hub.

@legacy1 wrote:

@asim18 wrote:

built in firewall says all

rdp all.png

Plus a firewall should not have profiles only rules

The built-in Windows firewall does have ‘profiles’ with different sets of rules depending on the network category you are connected to.

@troopydoopy the easiest thing is to try disabling the Windows firewall and see if that resolves it. If it does then probably, as mentioned above, Windows has identified your home network as a ‘public’ one and locked things down accordingly.