Menu
pablog1980
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Reliability

Have been a moth set up and already the unreliability of Wi-Fi is awful at least 5-6 times a day it goes down for a few minutes then starts again then goes down again constantly for about 15 minutes it’s so poor and the Wi-Fi hardly reaches upstairs very disappointed 

0 Kudos
Bigdrumz
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Reliability

It might be an idea to invest in a 3rd party Wi-Fi router/mesh as the ISP supplied one isn't reliable.
You will have to switch your Hub to modem mode and plug in the 3rd party equipment.
The setup should be straightforward.
0 Kudos
pablog1980
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No not from what I’ve heard I heard non stop issues about being in that mode and getting it into that mode and also I won’t be able to use the Ethernet ports I need it’s disgraceful really

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi pablog1980, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with your WiFi network. 

I have taken a look at your Hub to check all is OK and there is nothing wrong. The power levels are optimal and there are no timeouts. The network itself is looking good too. 

These links will help to optimise your connection as much as possible:

If you did wish to consider your own router then you can put the Hub into Modem mode by using the steps here. Whilst you will only be able to use the ethernet slot 1 on the Hub for the router, any ethernet devices can be plugged in to the router if that's something you wanted to do. 

Let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
pablog1980
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Pretty poor that virgin give you a router that’s not worth using then someone tells you to go and spend money on something else absolute disgrace!

0 Kudos
Bigdrumz
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This isn't exclusive to Virgin Media alone, it's a known fact that most ISP supplied hubs/routers have an inferior Wi-Fi range. I had Wi-Fi issues for a long time and once I brought a 3rd party Wi-Fi router all my Wi-Fi issues disappeared.
0 Kudos
pablog1980
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi has always been ok upstairs with by and sky but virgin it’s a disgrace 

0 Kudos