cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular disconnecting Broadband

JulzElsbury
Tuning in

Hi

Over the last 4-5 weeks, I have experienced multiple disconnects per day on the broadband. Until this period, it was faultless. Service checker tool never reports an issue. All cables are as per original setup and router has not been moved. Any suggestions please as I am now paying more for a worse service level

21 REPLIES 21

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been experiencing on the services, with the drops in services.

Does this happen on Wi-Fi only, or are wired connections also effected?

If this is happening on wired connections, are you using Cat 6 Ethernet cables?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I only use wi-fi as live in a small one up-one down house. It affects all smart devices though as you'd expect. 

Has literally been fault free since installation in June 2021

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi JulzElbsury,

Thanks for providing us with that bit of information. I've taken a look on our side and I can see that there are some high levels of wireless interference which is affecting Wi-Fi performance.

Interference can be caused by the signals coming from other routers or any electrical devices within a close range of your Hub. Please ensure you're using the default Wi-Fi settings & not splitting SSIDs and your Hub is:

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones
  • Away from microwaves

Have you also recently rebooted your Hub? Sometimes this can help refresh any connections and settings.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi Reece, thanks for the reply

I can confirm that the router has not been moved from the windowsill on which it sits since the first day it arrived. Also, no fish tanks / microwaves in the house.

I've never changed any wifi settings. Should I reset to factory defaults somehow?

Hi JulzElsbury

Thanks for coming back to the thread

Upon a further system check, you do need a tech visit. This is because your downstream power levels are either maxed out or out spec. I'll send you a PM now.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi JulzElsbury

Thanks for joining me on PM and providing me the details of which to book a tech for your downstream levels. The visit will be viewable in your online account shortly - virg.in/myVM - where you can cancel/amend.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment
Let us know how the visit goes or if you need further assistance.
Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks John, I'll keep an eye out for the visit date

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JulzElsbury

Thanks for your response

Please do be sure to keep us updated with how the tech visit goes 

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

Engineer visited on 14th and replaced the hub but problem has resurfaced today with WiFi dropping around 6am this morning and in the last 5 minutes??