Menu
NoFan
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Refusing to provide boosters

To keep me in contract Virgin have been promising to provide boosters since last November following poor WiFi for the previous years contract, but they never arrive. Now they claim they don’t have any.  Is that breach of contract cause I’d like not to have bad debt when I cancel all payments. 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Refusing to provide boosters

I can assure you that cancelling payments over this matter will cause outrage and difficulty, but only to you.  Read this:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Abysmal-amp-Non-Existent-Customer-S...

In terms of sorting out the wifi, you can hold VM to account and force their hand by using the complaints process.  Chances are that the complaints process will be flunked, but in that case you escalate within the customer guidance to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS. 

Due to supply chain issues (that DON'T go back as far as November) VM can't now provide you with the "pods" that have replaced the previous boosters.  If you're confident that you have the information to show that VM did agree to provide devices to improve your wifi, then just buy a wifi mesh system for about £100-130, raise a formal complaint with VM asking them to credit your account with the cost, and when they reject that, then you escalate to CISAS.  Which won't be quick (read CISAS customer guidance) but will be effective.

Or maybe the forum staff can leap in and get this fixed - I'll flag this post for them to comment. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

TiffanyGreen97
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would ring them back up, as its true they no longer provide the old  boosters but they have replaced them with WiFi pods which create a mesh WiFi network. I would ask for WiFi pods to be sent out to fix your signal problems. this should have been offered to you 

NoFan
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It’s seems underhand how they hold all the cards despite not fulfilling what was a clear offer to rectify the service they’d failed to deliver. They aren’t willing to put much in writing however following one of the numerous calls chasing the boosters they did provide this email below stating “booster will be with you soon”.   Today when I rang, the agent put me on hold for twenty minutes supposedly so they could ask about arranging delivery of old boosters and then hung up to avoid dealing with the enquiry.  

That has been fairly standard of virgins customer service for quite some time. 

In fairness to one call handler they did arrange an engineer around Christmas who I’m turn agreed the hub was poorly placed, and the WiFi issues could only be resolved with more central placement, or, the promised boosters.  I’ve had promise after promise of boosters never delivered, and the last suggestion today (prior to “we’ll see if there are any old boosters available”) was “you can wait until end of February and order the WiFi pods” which I’m fairly certain would cost me another weekend on the phone.  

262E1D5C-BDA7-402A-BE01-BD56FCA615C1.png

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No breach of contract as No ISP guarantees Wi-Fi.  Its impossible to predict the size and structure of a customers house/mansion.  Powerlines have been discontinued and they are going over to a mesh type system.  Or just do what others have and buy powerlines for around £25, an access point for around £50 or a mesh system for around £100

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It is ideal to have the hub centre of the house but for most people that's not possible as the wall socket is front of house. Only option to move the hub further into the house is via surface cables. Its easy for the VM engineer to suggest that.

You could go back to retention team and suggest since they unable to fulfill the promise of booster they should offer discount on your monthly contract and use that money on superior mesh for £100. Its worth a phone call 🙂

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @NoFan , thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear you've not received your required and promised boosters.  I would like to take a closer look into this on your behalf.  To enable me to do so I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos