Menu
ian_e89
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Red power light showing permanently on hub 3.0

Good Morning.

My hub 3.0 is now showing a red power light instead of the normal white power light .

The hub is in free air, on top of a cabinet, with plenty of space around it. It has been there all the time that has been installed (at least three years!) with no problems at all. 

I have power-cycled the router several times, with no change to the red light. According to forum information, the red light indicates overheating, however, running the hub on-board diagnostics tells me that it is not overheating. The hub itself does not feel overly warm to the touch. 

WiFi and networking are all functioning at the moment, but I am worried that  this may be a  sign that my router about to fail. Can anyone clarify this please? 

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Red power light showing permanently on hub 3.0

Here's a post from another knowledgeable forum member:

On the Hub 3 a red light is the overheating indicator.  First thing to try is a pinhole reset ( making sure you've got the eight digit admin password still printed on the base of the hub, because this resets the hub to factory settings.  That can work perfectly, as the hub is a firmware controlled device.  But if you try that, and the light is still red, then the hub needs replacing, either because it is overheating, or because it's overheating indicator is faulty (ie a safety issue whichever way). 

Personally if I had a Hub 3 showing a red light, I wouldn't leave it powered on overnight, or if leaving the house for extended periods of time.  That's probably a little bit OTT, but better safe than sorry.   

So do a factory reset (60 seconds press of the pinhole button and leave to boot back up) and if that doesn't clear it request a new hub from VM - ring at 08:00 in the morning when lines are likely quieter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
ian_e89
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Red power light showing permanently on hub 3.0

Many thanks for that advice. After a 60 second (plus) reset, I still have the red light. So I will be on to Virgin Media first thing tomorrow morning.

0 Kudos