Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Red/orange light

Hi all, 

My Wifi HUB has an orange/red light which is constant. I’ve read that this can be a sign of overheating but it has been moved and in a fairly cool room. It has been reset and turned off but still no change. The connection goes in and out from being fine to completely broken. Any ideas?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Red/orange light

@Harding1263 wrote:

Hi all, 

My Wifi HUB has an orange/red light which is constant. I’ve read that this can be a sign of overheating but it has been moved and in a fairly cool room. It has been reset and turned off but still no change. The connection goes in and out from being fine to completely broken. Any ideas?

Thanks 

Sounds like you need a replacement.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Really...I’ve only had this hub since May. Will Virgin be able to replace this for free..?

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Harding1263 wrote:

Really...I’ve only had this hub since May. Will Virgin be able to replace this for free..?

Yes, it's rented equipment so should be replaced FOC if faulty.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can someone from Virgin help me with this..?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Harding1263

Thank you for posting to the Community and apologies for the delay in response. 

I am sorry to hear your Hub is experiencing an issue with the red/orange light staying on. Can you please confirm if you are using you Hub in modem mode.

Can you also confirm if the Hub is hot to touch and in a well ventilated area?

I am going to pop you over a private message to confirm your details, this will be available via the purple envelope on the top right. 

Nat
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Natalie_L wrote:

Hi Harding1263

Thank you for posting to the Community and apologies for the delay in response. 

I am sorry to hear your Hub is experiencing an issue with the red/orange light staying on. Can you please confirm if you are using you Hub in modem mode.

Can you also confirm if the Hub if the Hub is hot to touch and in a well ventilated area?

Let me know and I will be happy to assist further. 

If the Hub is hot and the Power Light is red the Hub is overheating.

If the Hub is cool and the Power Light is red it is a false indication.

In both cases the Hub needs replacing.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for a response. It is quite hot and is in a well ventilated area.

When you mention HUB in modem mode how do I check this?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you don't know how to check, then it's pretty unlikely that you are using the hub in modem mode, because it is necessary to delve in advanced settings to change to modem mode.

Also, if you've done a reset the hub would always come back on line in router mode, and the light should be white, so again you'd need to change it back to modem mode.

And the final thought is that if you're using the hub's wifi signal the it is in router mode, or if you've got more than one device connected by ethernet cable top the hub then it must be in router mode.

Modem mode is used for people like me, who provide our router or mesh wifi equipment, and have the hub set to act only as a cable modem.  In that case there's no wifi signal from the hub, and only one of the ethernet ports works.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks