Menu
dellyVirjin
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Red light showing

Today I was streaming a movie and suddenly it stopped. I then realised all my internet connections had died. 

Looking at the Hub 3 it has a red light. I followed the guides and left it cool right down for an hour. Upon restarting I get the same red light.

From reading other threads it sounds like there is no way to fix and it must be replaced is this the case?

If so can someone help me action this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Red light showing

So do you still have no network connection? A red light usually signifies "overheating" - is the Hub getting hot at all? If the red light persists VM will swap the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
dellyVirjin
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, yea still not working and red light even after reatarting and leaving off for an hour.

I dont undwrstand the overheating because it has been in the same spot for months with pretty good ventilation.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@dellyVirjin wrote:

Thanks, yea still not working and red light even after reatarting and leaving off for an hour.

I dont undwrstand the overheating because it has been in the same spot for months with pretty good ventilation.

The red LED is an overheating indicator on a Hub 3 and almost certainly driven by a sensor on the CPU within the hub, it means that either that the LED on the front is faulty (a low enough internal voltage would only illuminate the red diode of the RGB unit that makes up the colour changing LED on the front of the hub), but more probably the overheating sensor is faulty, or the CPU is indeed overheating.  In any of those cases the hub needs replacing because it isn't viable to undertake the complex task of fault finding and replacing solid state components soldered into low value consumer goods.  As solid state electronics are usually very reliable, I suspect genuine overheating is the most common cause, but that's perhaps not occurring in the way you might be thinking.

To cause the CPU temperature to rise without any obvious external cause, then a probable internal cause is dislodgement, delamination or poor initial fitting of the heat sink, and in a few cases build of dust on the heat sink over time.  Dislodgement or delamination of the heat sink could be down to poor manufacture, mishandling in transport, or simply the hub being knocked or dropped in domestic use.  In most cases, you wouldn't be able to tell if the hub was overheating from the outside - the issue here is that the CPU is getting hotter than its operating range because the heat it routinely generates isn't being properly dissipated by the heat sink, although unless it actually did catch fire (a pretty low risk, but still a risk) the heat output of the hub and it's surface temperature will remain normal for the Hub 3, that seems to be around 39 C.

The consequence of an overheating CPU is probably not a fire risk, because most CPU's will be designed to throttle down performance to reduce the temperature, which would make it operate less reliably.  For some low intensity use that might not show, but it would still be happening.  If the CPU doesn't throttle back, and the heat sink isn't doing what it is supposed to, its temperature can rise to levels that would damage the silicon, and could also be a fire risk.  That would be very rare, but around 1% of UK household fires are causes by computers and related kit.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @dellyVirjin,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

A red light on the hub is an overheating indicator. I have taken a look at your account and can see you have spoken to our team who have offered some advise on this.

Are you still getting the red light now that you are out of Modem mode?

Let me know, as I would like to book an engineer to get this looked at and replaced if needed. 

Cheers

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
dellyVirjin
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the support on here, in the end I managed to get through and a support engineer got me to use a pin to reset the Hub 3.

This seems to have fixed the issue and I am still using the Hub in WIFI Router mode.

So the red light can stay on even after full power down, cool down and power up. You need to use the factory reset!

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi dellyVirjin,

Thank you for coming back to us in our community and for the update, glad to hear a pin reset has resolved your issue, if you do have any further issues please let us know and we will be happy to help further.

Just for advise to anyone else reading this and not sure how to perform a pin reset, first check all the internal connections are hand tight then push a pin/ paper clip in the back of the Router where it says reset, push in until you feel it press then hold in for a timed 1 Minute, do not reboot during or after and allow 15 Minutes to settle afterwards?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos