cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light on hub 3

Jack0_P
Tuning in

Hi, I spent 20 minutes on the phone with virgin support earlier trying to explain this issue in which they attempted to treat this as a network monitoring problem. They wanted to monitor my connection for 30 minutes, then for me to power down my device before powering back on and then calling them back. In my opinion this is very poor support and advice for an item that could potentially be a fire hazard.

For info my hub is located in a well ventilated open area and is not placed in direct sunlight. The red light has been on a few days now so this is a concern, particularly as I need reliable internet access for work.

I see from the thread I have linked below, the helpful Lisa_CC Moderator sent a replacement hub. I am hoping I can also get some appropriate help from the community.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Red-light-on-hub-3/td-p/4570317 

7 REPLIES 7

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you @Jack0_P.

Sorry to hear of the poor experience when working with our team over the phone.

We would advise switching off the hub at the switch and then unplug the hub from the mains and allow this to cool for 30 minutes before then rebooting to see if the red light re-appears when the rebooting process has completed.

Do please check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me and I'll look into having this replaced for you.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David_Bn, what you have asked me to do has logic, so I have turned off the router overnight to allow to cool down. I have then turned on again this morning and the red light still comes on solid where the white light usually is, no other lights come on other than when booting up.

I was frustrated by support as there was no logic in what they asked me to do from the huge amounts of information present on this forum. I explained the problem, even sent them a link to the threads on here yet they still wanted to do a period of monitoring my router traffic despite me saying I wasn't noticing an issue with my speed or traffic. They would not deviate from their script and when you have a clear issue that seems to be hardware related and considering my 25 plus years experience as an IT worker and 6 years working on switching in networks I do have a reasonable grasp on what is logical in this area.

Thanks for your help and I have replied to your private message.

All the best.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for working with me via our private messaging conversation @Jack0_P and I look forward to the requested update, when available 👍

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

David_Bn Thank you for being so helpful and booking an engineer visit for this Thursday. This was much more logical and helpful support than received via the virgin support line or via Twitter. You only need to browse these forum pages to see how common this known issues on the 'Hub 3' is, so why customers are made to jump through hoops to get this resolved via other platforms is poor customer service.

Thanks again and I look forward to my problem being resolved and my hub 3 being replaced on Thursday.

We're glad to hear that we were able to assist with this Jack0_P.

^Martin

Hi David_Bn, this hub has now been swapped out by a very helpful engineer. The new hub is working OK. Many thanks you can close off this post now.

Thank you for the update @Jack0_P 

We are glad to see the issue was resolved with our team. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help 🙂

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs