forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
TheGazelle77
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Red light on hub 3

Hi there. I've just tried setting up a mesh system and had problems with the hub 3 router. I changed the router to modem mode but got a red light when this booted back up. Looking at the help pages it indicates its over heated but it's out in the open and far from being hot. Power cycling the router didn't change this either. Any ideas on what the issue is please?

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Red light on hub 3

When you put it in modem mode the LED comes on "magenta" and that is intended. 

To the majority of humanity (myself included) this looks convincingly red, which ordinarily indicates overheating or a faulty overheating detection circuit.  Who knows what mad, illogical thoughts were going through the design team's heads?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
TheGazelle77
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. What I find strange then is if that's modem mode set up, I had the Etherlet cable connected between router and mesh but no connection. Really stupid question but should i be connecting the cable into any specific port on the hub?

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Up to speed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Only port 1 works n modem mode
0 Kudos
TheGazelle77
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks and I guess that would be the bottom port in that bank of 4? Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm using the hub in modem mode and the port I';m using is the bottom one.  But I didn't think it matters - I was under the impression that the hub "locks" the first ethernet connection it detects when restarted in modem mode.  And that's the normal problem when people select modem mode - when the hub restarts after selecting modem mode, it'll lock the PC (or device) used to connect to the hub.  Everything has to be powered down after the hub's restarted in modem mode, then you restart the hub with only your router/mesh connected.  Try that, say if it doesn't work..

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@TheGazelle77 wrote:

Thanks. What I find strange then is if that's modem mode set up, I had the Etherlet cable connected between router and mesh but no connection. Really stupid question but should i be connecting the cable into any specific port on the hub?

depends on the hub - if it's a 2/2ac then it's the one closest to the power socket on the hub.  if it's the 3 or 4 then i think any port will do.  There is a specific order you need to follow to get modem mode up and running though..

Log into the hub on http://192.168.0.1 and select the option to put the hub into modem mode
The hub will then reboot and come back up in modem mode - give it five minutes to settle down
Disconnect all ethernet cables from the hub
Power off the Hub and your router/mesh system
Connect your router/mesh system to the hub via ethernet cable and switch it on - leave it five minutes to settle down
Power on the hub and leave it five minutes to settle down

Should all be working.

TheGazelle77
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all. Will retry and any further issues I'll jump back on here. 

0 Kudos
TheGazelle77
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm finally getting around to trying to set the mesh up tonight. If I'm unplugging all devices and just connecting the mesh up, once that is sorted, will all other devicea work when  connected back up eg VM TIVO box and Hive?

0 Kudos
TheGazelle77
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Quick update to confirm all is working now thanks to the guidance given above. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.