cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light on hub 3.0

Chilledbob
Joining in

My hub has had a red light as far as I can remember. I presumed this was the power light.

My WiFi has always been a little patchy and drops regularly several times a day. I have to regularly switch off and back on again and this usually fixes the issue for a few days.

The router has just stopped working and this time several restarts and modem resets didn't fix the issue. Checked all connections are good.

Researched the red light issue and sounds like it's an overheating fault. Modem is standing upright in the middle of a coffee table with nothing else near it.

After many resets it has started working again but red light remains (as it always has done for about a year).

Presume I need a new router?

3 REPLIES 3

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Chilledbob, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media community forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the hub you are experiencing.
As you've done the checks and the issues are still there, I will assist further.

I will send a private message.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for speaking with us today @Chilledbob on the forums.

After looking through, we can see an SNR outage, with the reference of: F011033485.
The estimated repair time is for 6pm on November 9th 2023, as advised we need this to clear so we can see if this is the issue causing the red light.

Here is some more information regarding SNR outages:
SNR (signal to noise ratio). This is just a technical term for interference of the Broadband signal caused by noise which ingresses on to our network. It's a difficult problem to locate and diagnose. This is because noise can ingress anywhere on our network. As a general rule it's normally caused by customer equipment e.g. loose connections or 3rd party equipment attached to our network. However it can also be attributable to local architecture, e.g street cabinets, cabling or at the origin of the signal which we call the Headend (servers/routing system).

The only way to establish where the noise is originating is for the Network Techs to run a series of trace routes. Once found then the cause dictates he amount of work required and the time frame for resolution.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for speaking with us today @Chilledbob on the forums. 👋🏼

I'm glad to hear the area outage has been cleared.
However the red light still remains, we have booked an appointment to cover this repair, more information is in our private chat.

Let us know how it goes with the appointment or if you need any further assistance and we'll support.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team