Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Red light on Router and loss of signal from the Ethernet cable connection on a regular basis.

I have a a continuous red light showing on the router despite it not feeling too warm and it being in a well ventilated space. I also lose the ethernet connection on a regular basis; though it comes back on when it feels like it. Any ideas about this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Red light on Router and loss of signal from the Ethernet cable connection on a regular basis.

red light usually means over heating or faulty afaik - a magenta light which some describe as red is when the hub is in modem mode but you would have to set that so its doubtful its that

you could try a fell reset - hold the reset button a good 30 sec - i dont see that helping but never a waste of time

if that does not help ring it in as faulty or wait here for VM to pick up the thread

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Red light on Router and loss of signal from the Ethernet cable connection on a regular basis.

Hi Steve-Wilks

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

Were you able to try Tony's suggestion? Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi.  No, it has made no difference whatsoever.  I have tried two different docks and three different pc's to see if that has any bearing on this, but I am still getting random disconnects.  My machines pick up the bluetooth immediately, so I can keep on working, but that isn't the point.  There are systems and apps that only work when I am connected to the ethernet.  My feeling is that there is an issue with the router itself, or, there is an issue with Virgin in my area.  I think that is unlikely though, as others will have reported the same problem and it would have been dealt with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steve-Wilks,

Thank you for your post and I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your services, I have had a look and everything looks fine, I can see you have not rebooted in a while can you please do a pinhole reset and let me know if it improves.

Thanks

Zoie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi.  Yes, of course; but I have done power off, plug out re-sets and noticed no change.  I'll let you know what happens with the Pin-hole re-set.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Please do it says your hub has not been rebooted for two weeks,

thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zoe.  I have completed the pin-hole re-set and nothing has changed.

Let me explain what is happening.  Often, on an initial boot-up, the laptop will settle down and all connections are working fine.  I will have a small, oblong screen in the bottom right hand corner of the screen with a usb just to the side of it indicating that I am connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable.  As long as this is there, all apps work well.  However, at some point during the morning or afternoon, I will notice that the small screen and usb icon has gone, to be replaced with a small globe with a grid on it and to the right and towards the bottom, there will be an even smaller circle with a diagonal line through it.  If I then check the connections screen, it will show me the ethernet icon with the information "no internet connection".  If i check the WiFi connection, it will show my Virgin system name "VM6978840 no internet, secured".  The odd thing then, is that my emails still work, I can get websites and the company VPN still works.  But any apps that need to sync, stop working.  It's sounds crazy, but that is what is happening.  The router shows a red light continuously.  I even got a small house fan and set it up to blow cool air over the router to see if it was over-heating, but that didn't change anything either.  I'm completely stuck. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You have mentioned USB.

Is your ethernet running through a USB adaptor ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi. No; it's the configuration of the small icon that you get in the bottom right hand corner of the screen when you are connected through an ethernet cable.  It looks like a usb connector, but i guess it should be called an ethernet connector.  Sorry for the confusion.  It's very small ans you have to look hard to see what it is.

0 Kudos