Menu
markp2gill
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Red light in modem mode

Good morning

I've seen some other posts on here regarding getting a red light on their Hub 3 and suggests a problem with the Hub.

I'm trying to add my own router to my Hub 3 and when I change from Router mode to Modem mode, I get a solid red light on my Hub 3, rather than a magenta light that I am expecting. I have proceeded with connecting the router to the Hub 3 and everything seems to work but this is the first time that I have attempted this, so was a bit reluctant to keep it in modem mode.

When I have switched back to router mode, I get the normal white light. I have repeated this a few times with the same result.

Do I have a problem with my Hub 3 or is the 'magenta' light actually more of a red light?

Regards
Mark
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Cardiffman281
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Red light in modem mode

So long as everything is working and the Hub isn't hot I wouldn't worry. Mine is in modem mode and Googling the colour of the light it's Fluorescent Magenta apparently. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The LED should be magenta, but to some people it can look red.   The Hub is built to a price so don't expect too much in the way of quality LED's.

As long as the light is white in Router mode, then the Hub is not overheating.   If the light stayed red in Router mode, you would need the Hub replaced.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

g0akc
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you look on these forums you should see other threads regarding the light looking red in modem mode.  

Mine looks red rather than magenta in modem mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
markp2gill
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks for the feedback. I had seen other threads saying that it is more of a red light but I would definitely not describe it as anything other than red.

I'll continue with my setting up.

Regards
Mark
0 Kudos
Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi @markp2gill, thanks a lot for your post here in the community and apologies for the slight delay in coming back to you.

As @Cardiffman281 and @g0akc have mentioned, the Hub light does change to a magenta/red light when in Modem mode.

The only thing to be concerend about is when the Hub light is red, and in router mode - this isn't normal and may require a Hub replacement, but as long as it's in Modem mode then this shade of colour is completely normal!

I do hope this helps and please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Many thanks

Tom_W
0 Kudos