cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Light on Hub 3.0, reset and still red in Modem mode not magenta

keithdgalbraith
Tuning in

My Hub 3.0 has started showing a Red light, it used to be Magenta.  The Hub 3 was and now is back in Modem mode, I have reset it this morning, configured to Modem mode again and it has changed to Red again.  I have read in the user guide and elsewhere in this forum and it states that Red means it has an error (in the user guide), and in Forums it suggests that means that its overheating and requires a replacement.  It is in a well ventilated location. I reset it as I have heard that is what customer services will make you do anyway.  It all works as expected but I am concerned about the overheating as it has to be left on all the time. 

7 REPLIES 7

keithdgalbraith
Tuning in

It is also upright vents clear, etc, etc.  

The difference between red and magenta is debatable - my Hub 3 only looks magenta exactly on-axis of the LED, from any angle it appears red.  Colour stability/intensity of the blue diode in the hub's RGB LED package appears poor, so the only clear test is to put the hub in router mode, leave that running for a couple of hours and see what colour LED you then have.  White is fine, off-white indicates the blue output is declining, and in that case the magenta of modem mode will appear red, not ideal, but not of itself a problem.  If it is red in router mode you need a new hub.  If it's orange then nobody knows what that indicates, and if it's yellow there's an unconvincing "explanation" without much help on VM's crapola web help.

No I can definitely tell the difference it is definitely now a distinct "red" and it was a Magenta colour before and its in Modem mode.  I will try the test you suggest when no-one is around.  

hub lights can change colour - the white [router mode] light can be anything between white and coffee coloured

the easy way to tell if its the over heating red warning light is put it back into router mode - if its red then its a warning light and the hub should be changed - if its [sort of] white then the red you see in modem mode is just the [cheap] led going off colour

apologies to @Andrew-G if i had read his post in full rather than glancing at it he has already said what i have just posted

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, keithdgalbraith,

Sorry to hear that you have been having hub issues. Can you confirm if the hub is overheating or is the light just red? Let us know how the test goes. 

Cheers,

Corey C

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Corey_C wrote:

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, keithdgalbraith,

Sorry to hear that you have been having hub issues. Can you confirm if the hub is overheating or is the light just red? Let us know how the test goes. 

Cheers,

Corey C

thats an interesting post - how is a user to know if the hub is over heating - does he hold his hand above it - if so what does he look for 1st - 2nd or 3rd degree burns or is a thermometer required - if so what is the temp that tells him the hub is too hot

with respect - the red light indicates over heating - the indication comes via the firmware - if the light or indicator circuit is faulty that is not the OP's problem - it should be assumed the hub is over heating/faulty and replaced

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi keithdgalbraith,

Apologies for the issues you're currently having with your hub - the red light would indicate that the hub is overheating so please do turn off the hub for now if possible.

I'm going to pop you over a PM now so I can take some details and arrange for the hub to be replaced. Please do look out for my message over at the purple envelope.

Thanks,

Beth

Beth