cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recurring Wifi Pod Problems

JohnWMentor
Dialled in

For the past few months, I keep getting these periods when my Intelligent Wifi Pod either has trouble connecting or doesn't work properly and needs turning off and on again.

I originally got it as part of one of VM's trial/testing programs. However, I think that ended months ago. I'm not even sure if it's working at all anymore, tbh, especially as it doesn't even seem to help much with my living room TV's Smart TV services (the TV's right next to the pod, so is connected with an Ethernet cable).

So it doesn't unnecessarily add to our home electricity bill, my Dad only switches it on in the late-evening, when he's watching TV. However, when I go to join him, I regularly see the white light pulsing on it, long after he's switched it on.

Is there anything anyone can suggest to help, or should I stop using it and go back to my old TP-Link range extender?

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

No lights show when the Pod is working normally. Have you changed Hub at all recently, as the Pod is linked via your Hub’s MAC address. It may be worth giving VM a call as they are able to see what the connection issue may be

The Pod should also be left on to continually optimise your WiFi. Turning it off may be causing the issue. 

I haven't done anything to change the Hub or the Pod recently. In fact, I thought the problem may have been because my Dad had put a small metal bin in front of the Pod. But I've moved it now and the problem still occurs.

The light does go out on the Pod sometimes, as you say. So, it must be working alright sometimes. It's just that it seems to be random as to whether it's going to work or not each day. I totally get that it probably needs to be left switched-on all the time. But, like I said, my family can't really afford to leave multiple electrical devices switched-on all day every day. It doesn't really need to be used most of the time anyway, just when we're spending more time over the other side of the house (I live in a bungalow).

I just really wanted to know if there was some sort of technical glitch, especially as it keeps letting us down when we need it the most.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A red light on the Pod would indicate a fault. A quick-blinking light indicates WiFi is being optimised. It’s definitely worth giving VM a call just to check the connection status for you. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi JohnWMentor,

Sorry to see you are having recurring issues with the Pod.

I hope the following two links will be beneficial in helping to resolve the pod problems

/virgin-media-intelligent-wifi-pods-faqs 

/virgin-media-pod-troubleshooting 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the links to the FAQs and Troubleshooting pages. I hadn't responded until now because the Pod seemed to be alright. However, it seems to have gone back to it's usual lengthy white pulsing light.

I had tested it earlier in the day today and it connected and worked fine. But, I've just gone to look at it this evening and, like I said, it had a white pulsing light on it constantly. So, I did my usual thing of switching off the power and switching it back on again. This time, it had a pulsing GREEN light on it for several minutes (longer than usual!) before going out completely. There was no white light at all this time.

Hi @JohnWMentor,

Welcome back to our forums.

Sorry to hear your issue is ongoing with your WIFI pod. We can understand your frustration and want to best help. Just to confirm is the hub still showing as no light at all? Are you getting any connectivity at all?

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi and thanks for your response.

I don't think the problem is with the Hub, it's my WiFi Pod I have in my Living Room. I keep having this repeated problem where the Pod randomly stops working or the light on it (either white or green) keeps coming on.

Last night in particular, my Dad complained to me that he was trying to catch-up on some TV programmes on his NowTV stick, which is plugged into the TV next to the Pod. The NowTV stick kept showing as no connectivity, even though the Pod was switched-on. I looked at the Pod and it once again had a flashing white light on. I turned it off and turned it back on again, but it stayed on a flashing green light continually. It was taking so long, I tried turning it off and on again. This time, the green light wasn't on for as long. However, it quickly switched to the flashing white light and kept doing that for several minutes.

In the end, I had to switch it off completely and make sure the NowTV stick was connected to the main Hub in my room. While my family went for dinner, I switched the Hub off and switched it back on. I then unplugged the Pod, plugged it back in again and switched it back on. I think it worked from that point on, although obviously I have no guarantees it won't stop working again.

I've talked to my parents about leaving the Pod switched-on as much as possible, so there's more of a chance of it being connected and usable when we need it. However, as I've said in previous posts, we can't really afford to have it on 24/7, especially as the Hub is too. It adds to the home energy bills.

Hi @JohnWMentor

Please can you keep us updated on how things are going?  Sorry your last post implies that there's been an improvement in your WiFi?

Regards

Lee_R

So far, things seem to be better. I've left the Pod on for longer these last few days and even left it on overnight last night. It doesn't seem to have been showing any flashing lights when I've gone to check on it. If things change, I'll let you all know.