cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended to Change Hub Location?

harisjabbar7cb1
Joining in

My hub is currently, located right at the front of the house, so currently, it is in the corner meaning the signal doesn't reach everywhere that well. We have 3, pods and it helps a bit, but because we mostly work upstairs it seems a bit counterproductive to have the router where it is currently placed.  

I was wondering how moving the router would work? Would there be a fee for this? What kind of locations in the house would work best for placing the router if we got the location changed? Thank you for your help. 

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Standard £25 fee for non fault call out to relocate your Hub. The Hub should be in an open area, and preferably well off the floor.  The Pods should all be within range of the Hub and the other Pods, i.e. not in a wifi blackspot.

If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up and discuss.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Alternatively, why not run a Cat6a ethernet cable from the Hub to the area of poor signal and simply attach a good wireless access point on that ethernet connector - sorted.

Or consider getting your own Mesh system

Think creatively about how to run the cable... under carpets, between carpet and skirting board, under floor boards or go out through a ventilation hole and run cable outside then back in... lots of options 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Going on from what John said, you can connect the VM pods to the hub with Ethernet cable and this would be a cheap option. In this case the pod should be in the same location as the target machine. Rember that just using the pods they should NOT be in the same location as the target machine, they should be as near as possible half way between the hub and the target machine.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi harisjabbar7cb1, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

The fee would be £25 to move the hub, please let me know if you would like to proceed with this?

Kind regards, Chris.