Menu
GaryK2671
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Recommend a new router

Hi

Been having ongoing Wifi issues with Hub 3.0 and have come to the conclusion that it's a pile of crap!

Bought a NetGear NightHawk R8000 (£159.99 Amazon) and am going to return it as there are so many issues, including:

• Assigning the majority of devices to 2.4GHz when they are 5GHz capable (only 2 devices have been assigned to 5GHz
  • Problems connecting to my office VPN (OpenVPN - keeps reporting TLS issues)
  • The Nighthawk app is not fit for purpose - device names can supposedly be edited, but it fails 99% of the time. Several devices listed with the name "--"
  • Wasted 1 hour on live chat with NetGear support who were useless. Despite similar issues being reported by other users over a period of time, support deny any knowledge of the issues
  • Probably other issues that I haven't come across yet!

So it seems to be an expensive pile of crap -  I'm going to be returning the router to Amazon as not fit for purpose.

Looking for recommendations for a good quality, hassle free alternative.

My requirements are:

• Capable of supporting large number of wireless devices connected at the same time (50+ to future proof)
  • Budget up to £150 (£170 at a stretch)
  • At least 4 Gigabit LAN ports
  • USB port / ports (nice to have - eg plugging in a USB drive)
  • Good coverage range
  • Simple set up (5 -10 minutes to config SSID, passwords, etc). Everything else working "out of the box" such as being able to connect to my office OpenVPN
  • Solid, reliable and USEABLE app / admin console
  • Vendor with excellent track record in building great quality products with good support (should things go wrong)
  • Single box solution (I shouldn't need mesh with multiple nodes as my house isn't that big - 3 bed end of terrace) 

Does such a router exist? Please give me some recommendations.

Cheers,

Gary

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Recommend a new router

Turn off the "Smart Connect" feature on the Netgear and split the WiFi bands by naming the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands to something different, then only connect devices to the band you want them to use.

The VPN issue is likely a firewall rule or toggle that needs adjusting on the Netgear

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Oyster
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am using a Draytek Vigor 2830 n
You will not have to spend the money you are talking about to get one of these and they are
used by many businesses that I know of with a large number of machines attached
0 Kudos
Sid70
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I've just got a TP Link C4000 and it's, so far, running like a dream. The wifi is superb and I can't praise it enough.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Don’t know the router you are using, but most problems of this type is that the power levels of the bands are wrong. The 5Ghz band should have a higher power level that the 2.4Ghz. This is because most “dual” devices go on power levels. On my Ubiquiti WAPs it’s very easy to adjust the power levels.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
GaryK2671
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it looks like the Smart Connect is anything but Smart!

Devices that are capable of 5 GHz connection keep getting assigned to the 2.4 GHz band. One way around this is to change the config of the network cards (PC & Laptop) to disable 2.4, but this shouldn't be necessary with "Smart" Connect. Also, there is the chance of having issues when connecting to a different router that doesn't support 5 GHz (unlikely, but you never know!). Likewise, all of our Amazon Smart Speakers are defaulting to 2.4 when they are supposedly able to connect to 5 GHz.

So I will disable "Smart" Connect on the router and see how I get on over the weekend.
If more problems arise, then I'll send it back to Amazon and get a different brand / model.

Thanks to those who have suggested alternative routers - I will take a look and see if they suffer from any annoying problems. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Oyster wrote:
I am using a Draytek Vigor 2830 n
You will not have to spend the money you are talking about to get one of these and they are
used by many businesses that I know of with a large number of machines attached

Another vote for the Draytek range. They are designed for professional use, but have a clear and understandable interface. I specified Draytek in different offices and have used them at home for years.  Have had no problems with various VPNs.  And if you need it their UK support is excellent.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@GaryK2671 wrote:

Yes, it looks like the Smart Connect is anything but Smart!

Devices that are capable of 5 GHz connection keep getting assigned to the 2.4 GHz band. One way around this is to change the config of the network cards (PC & Laptop) to disable 2.4, but this shouldn't be necessary with "Smart" Connect. Also, there is the chance of having issues when connecting to a different router that doesn't support 5 GHz (unlikely, but you never know!). Likewise, all of our Amazon Smart Speakers are defaulting to 2.4 when they are supposedly able to connect to 5 GHz.

So I will disable "Smart" Connect on the router and see how I get on over the weekend.
If more problems arise, then I'll send it back to Amazon and get a different brand / model.

Thanks to those who have suggested alternative routers - I will take a look and see if they suffer from any annoying problems. 

My ASUS is the same whereby some devices connect automatically to the 5Ghz band and some go to the 2.4Ghz band, but within a couple of hours they’ve moved to where they should be.

It might be worth checking if there’s any “rules” for the “Smart Connect” whereby it steers a device to a certain band based on its signal strength and adjust accordingly. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
GaryK2671
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I disable the not so Smart Connect this evening, so now have 3 SSID's available (1 x 2.4 GHz & 2 x 5 GHz).

Obviously I needed to reconnect some of my devices (those that can connect to the 5GHz band), but was pleasantly surprised that the 2.4GHz devices didn't need any changes as the 2.4 SSID retained the same name & pw as the combine SSID when Smart Connect was enabled.

Had some problems with a couple of the 5 GHz devices - they connected to the router, but could not access the internet for some reason. After a lot of faffing about, all devices seem ok....for now. I'll see what happens tomorrow when I fire those devices up again.

0 Kudos