cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received wrong hub

Yman
Tuning in

Hi,

I recently moved over to virgin. I got the 1gig fibre package and was meant to receive a hub 5 according to my contract however I received a hub 4.

At the time of installation I noticed I was receiving 3x less speed than what I was meant to be getting and the engineer said that it takes time for the router to start working. Which is just wrong, sure the initial boot may take a min but after that it should be working as expected. 

I would like to receive the hub 5 as my contract stated I would be getting.

I am also experiencing another issue with my landline not receiving a dial tone when I pick it up. At the time the engineer tested the line and it was working on his plug in test phone but on my home phone it wasn't. can this be looked into as before my landline was working perfectly fine.

19 REPLIES 19

Client62
Legend

There are many recent post about Hub 5 not being supplied, they are out of stock.

To see how the Hub 4 performs try this link  : https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

It shows the service speed to the Hub ( regardless of your computer / mobile ) then the speed achieved by the device.

Speed to the Hub should reflect your subscription.

Speed to the device varies and very much depends on its connection method and performance capabilities.

I know how it should perform

Hub 4 is WiFi 5, realistic speed will never exceed 350mb/s 

You have to have a WiFi 6 or 6e to reach 1gig plus speeds on wifi

The fact virgin comes out with one gig package and doesn't even bother to equip the customer with the correct hardware is ridiculous. 

They should have easily guessed that with the mass rollout of ftth their is going to be a massive increase in customers and what are they all going to need, a WiFi 6 router. So why hasn't production of this been stepped up.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Virgin only promise 1Gbps to the Hub, and the Hub 4 achieves this. 

Virgin does not have a mass rollout of FTTH, and won't for years to come. Most of their network is still coax from the street cabinet. 

Nevertheless Virgin are wrong to promise the Hub 5 when they don't have them in stock. This is a breach of their contract with you. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Regarding the telephone, this can be supplied from a BT style wall socket or increasingly from the RJ11s on the Hub.

After the engineer checked the phone service, did they connect your telephone to that socket ?

Yeah they did, and I checked it again, initially my bt phone was just saying searching but then was acting normal displaying 30 new calls after a day or so like it was before I got virgin but now just without dial tone. Not sure if i need a new phone or not

If the phone is now from the Hub - after login the status page of the Hub + its Diagnostic test can confirm is the phone service is enabled.

Perhaps the RJ11 plug to BABT socket adaptor is faulty. 

With an RJ11 to RJ11 cable it may be possible to connect a phone to the Hub without a socket adaptor.

IanSK
Tuning in
I also have the hub 4. Apparently there was a supply issue with the hub 5, but they should be sent out soon

The phone is directly connected to the hub and the engineer even swapped out the cable. Took my old cable aswell, right now its an rj11 to rj11, I do have an rj11 to rj45 laying about somewhere you think that might work?

Also logged into the hub and ran the test everything running as expected.

The BT Converse phone on my desk will not work with an RJ11 / RJ11 cable because the phone's RJ11 socket is not the standard pinout - it works with our Cisco ATA VOIP adaptor using the phones original cable plus an RJ11 / BABT Socket adaptor.

Our later BT DECT cordless phones have the standard RJ11 pinout & can be connected RJ11 / RJ11 to a VOIP service.

Final thoughts
check the RJ11 cable is fully clicked in on the base of your phone;  
our Hub has 2 RJ11 phone sockets try both