Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Received an Automated phone message regarding internet.

Someone in the household received an automated message regarding the internet going down in 4 hrs. Have checked my emails and my phone and all the ways I have allowed virgin media to contact me and also checked my account and there is nothing about this, 

As I work from home and the internet is now critical for me to work I need to know if this is correct and why I have not been informed through my chosen communication channels. 

Does Anyone know if this is the normal way that virgin do this or if this is part of a scam or something?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Received an Automated phone message regarding internet.

Expect the internet to go down at any time for the notified period, if the internet is mission critical put a backup connection in place ready to use.

VM will contact using the contact details they have been given.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Spam call most likely. Ignore. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Teffy wrote:

<snip>

Does Anyone know if this is the normal way that virgin do this or if this is part of a scam or something?

Assuming you are referring to an automated call on your VM landline, this sounds like the default format of a common telephone scam. The automated message usually asks the customer to press a button to speak to 'technical support' (which connects the call back to the scammers, possibly using a premium rate number). Read through the posts in the 'Home phone' and 'Security matters' forums for the last few weeks and months and you will find many topics similar to this posted on most days.

On some occasions, VM do send out text messages notifying of large-scale area outages for planned maintenance work. If that happens, these texts are information-only and require no response or action from the customer.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Teffy,

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the community forums. For planned maintenance in the area we do send notices by post. If you have the number that rang me can check for you.

Cheers

Corey C

0 Kudos