Menu
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 31 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rebooting router

How strange, I'll pop you over a PM now to confirm.

Kind regards,

Beth

Beth
0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 32 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi martinlburke,

Hope you had a nice weekend!

Let us know how the visit goes and if there's anything else we can do for you 🙂

Beth

Beth
0 Kudos
martinlburke
Dialled in
Message 33 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Engineer came changed a few cables over disconnected an unused one, did something in the cabinet and put a filter onto the modem. 

Will hopefully have cured the problem only time will tell 

Speedtest for 10 May 2021 after engineer came. 

Will be closely monitoring speeds and quality 

Martin

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 34 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for the public update on how the visit went.

Do keep us posted with how your broadband behaves over the next 24 hours and let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Kind regards

Beth

Beth
0 Kudos
martinlburke
Dialled in
Message 35 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Tuesday it had 2 blips one just before 3pm and another just after 3pm but other than that it seems to be stable now. Only time will tell. 

Today the PODs had a funny 20 mins of not being able to connect (Green light flashing - Quick , Slow , Off - ) stable now .

11/05/21 blips for that day

Speed wise 360 to 380 which is fine as i'm on 350.

Martin

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 36 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for the update on your connection and your Pods - sorry to hear they had a funny 5 minutes, I'm glad everything is stable for you now.

Please do continue to monitor this and let us know if anything changes,

Best wishes,

Serena

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 37 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Your 11 May BQM is pretty clear that your connection is subject to an over-utilisation problem.  Put simply VM have over-sold connections compared to the available network capacity around you.  You see how it's very poor during normal waking hours, and then mostly good from about half past midnight to 9 am? Then there's a bit of a morning hiatus as people start working, OK during the day, and then turns to sludge come the evening.  This proves that the network and your hub are working well when there isn't too much traffic, although the few blips in the small hours imply a possible upstream noise issue as well.  If your hub's status pages show any post-RS errors downstream, or T3 timeouts upstream, or repeated network log entries such as Sync error, Partial Service, or T3 timeouts, those can probably be fixed which might reduce some of the dropouts, but fixing those won't resolve the over-utilisation issue. 

In some areas VM do undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic.  And that's when there's an admitted utilisation problem - the fact that the staff haven't mentioned one suggests that the problem doesn't meet the threshold criteria VM use to accept one exists.  For the most part speeds will be OK other than at peak times, the real problem is anything latency sensitive such as video or VOIP calling and internet gaming.

If you're happy with the service you're getting, then fine.  If not then the only reliable option is to find an alternative ISP.  And if you want us to take a check through the hub's status data, connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as text, not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
martinlburke
Dialled in
Message 38 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Famous last words happened again today looks like 30mins of no internet unless there was something happening in my area then it's more than likely something to do with the modem

0 Kudos
martinlburke
Dialled in
Message 39 of 61
Flag for a moderator

@Andrew-G Well to be honest IF that was the case then explain 2nd May perfectly fine well apart from 10pm onwards then goes on to 3rd May so obviously NOT over utilisation in my area

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 40 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi @martinlburke,

Thank you for getting back to us about this issue. I understand that this is a very frustrating ongoing problem.

There have not been any issues ongoing in your area from taking a look at your account. I'm sorry to hear that you had a connection issue for those 30 minutes. 

How is your connection at the moment? Please keep us updated with any issues, so we can look into them.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos