cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really variable performance Virgin Hub and Google Mesh

Ravenswell
Joining in

Can anyone help understand why I am getting such variable performance..

I have a virgin cable hub which is receiving a 250plus Mb connection and connecting anything directly via ethernet get awesome speeds - no issues at all.

I use Google Home Nest to extend Wifi using one additional Wifi point.  The Wifi links are excellent .. Using the Google home diagnostic it sees the input from the Hub a 1Gb link, and the NEST linkage to the expansion point as excellent.  We get strong Wifi to any of the various ipads using the Google home network.

Testing speeds using the various speedtest tools - the wifi does operate / test at 30Mb plus - surprisingly low given the input but acceptable.  However with any kind of sustained use, it seems to choke up, with outlook disconnecting,  Teams videos deteriorating then going off line.

I have run traceRT and seeing some very strange results .. 600ms hops, and multiple time outs on Wifi but the same using the ethernet direct to the hub returns sub 10ms results..  

I do have the Hub Wifi still active but having retarted the various devices a few times, the smart channel selection should prevent that being an issue.    

I can show the DNS trace if that would help.. But there's something interacting in the relay from the Google Home and the Hub that I dont undersstand!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

This reads like a problem that is very close to home, I'd set a side tracert result as not informing the situation of your NEST kit.

If speed tests in the 30 to 50 Mb/s range are seen, most often this mean a device connected on the 2.4Mhz Wi-Fi band.

Is the laptop or mobile that you are using to test one that only has 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi 4 i.e. 802.11b/g/n ?

Virgin Media the smart channel selection / auto channels we prefer disabled in an environment with a Hub in Router mode + 2 Wireless Access points.  Repeatedly the VM Hub made the worst possible choices of channels always moving to cause a clash with one or other of our Access Points.  So our Hub and 2x APs are are on manual channels settings & clashes are no longer a concern.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Client62
Legend

This reads like a problem that is very close to home, I'd set a side tracert result as not informing the situation of your NEST kit.

If speed tests in the 30 to 50 Mb/s range are seen, most often this mean a device connected on the 2.4Mhz Wi-Fi band.

Is the laptop or mobile that you are using to test one that only has 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi 4 i.e. 802.11b/g/n ?

Virgin Media the smart channel selection / auto channels we prefer disabled in an environment with a Hub in Router mode + 2 Wireless Access points.  Repeatedly the VM Hub made the worst possible choices of channels always moving to cause a clash with one or other of our Access Points.  So our Hub and 2x APs are are on manual channels settings & clashes are no longer a concern.

Hi

i would suggest putting the hub into modem mode & running the google off that. I do this with my own mesh router setup (not google) and it works fine with good speeds. 

sounds like you may have some instability between the hub in router mode & google. 

please do paste the traceroute as well. 

thanks

Simon

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Ravenswell,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your connection at the moment, I can see that you're in good hands with the community members helping out. 

How has your connection been running since you last posted, are you still having issues or seen any improvements. If you're still having issues, please let us know. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L