cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Red light hub 3 always on despite resetting several times

Rkhorton
Tuning in

Hi Sabrina

I have the same issue. Received my Hub 3 this morning and set it up, all working well. Changed it to modem mode and again no issues and fast speeds. It stopped working after a few minutes so switched it on & off again, along with the router and switch. Went through the online troubleshooting and noticed the Hub 3 was incredibly hot, even the cable. Checked online and see that it appears to be a common issue. Have left it to cool down and tried again but the red light just comes back on and I'm afraid to leave it switched on in case it's a fire risk.

Can you help me with this too please?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Daniel

Thanks for the response. I've factory reset it and have left it in router mode for now and have had no red light issue since. I've been busy with work so haven't dared to try it in modem mode again. I'll have a try this weekend and see if it happens again in modem mode and if so will be in touch.

Cheers 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

Login to the Hub 3 menus and run the Network diagnostic tool

Scroll down through the results looking for Temperature section   - is it Normal / Over Temp ?

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Rkhorton 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

We're sorry to hear about the problem you're experiencing 😔

The red light indicates that either the router is overheating, or there's an issue with the connection to the LED.

In the first instance, please follow the below steps in the following order:

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub
• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight
• Use the power switch to turn the unit back on

If after following the steps the router doesn't boot back up after a few minutes, or the red light returns when it does, the router will need replacing.

Please pop back to us at your earliest convenience.

Regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel

Thanks for the response. I've factory reset it and have left it in router mode for now and have had no red light issue since. I've been busy with work so haven't dared to try it in modem mode again. I'll have a try this weekend and see if it happens again in modem mode and if so will be in touch.

Cheers 

Thanks for the update @Rkhorton 😊

Please do let us know if you see any further issues with this, we're always happy to assist.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Sorry, I was clearly being optimistic thinking I'd have time to look at it that weekend! I've got it running in modem mode and it's working now although the LED is still red. It feels warm to the touch but if I switch it back to router mode and use the Network Diagnostic tool option to check the temperature it says it's normal. Is it just a bad LED? Thanks

Hi @Rkhorton 

Thanks for coming back to us. 

Please could you do this for me;

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub. 
  • Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location and out of direct sunlight, if possible. 
  • Switch the hub back on at the power. The Hub should now operate normally.

Let me know if this fixes things with the hub red light.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Client62
Legend

Hub 3 has a White bar in Router mode and it has a Magenta bar in Modem mode.