Menu
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Range extender issue

A couple hundred is sufficient for most residential users. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Impavidus59 wrote:
OK so from this thread I have learnt:

1. there is no 'cure' for the issue
2. Virgin seemingly supplies sub-standard hardware
3. If you need to have a better signal beyond what is provided by the normal router you have to spend several hundred pounds in high-quality hubs...

Is that it?

2. Virgin seemingly supplies sub-standard hardware 

Not exactly, the Hubs are fine for >90% of their 5m BB customers (my mate thinks its great).  It's just a relatively small % of customers who struggle with it in their environment for their demands.  The VM marketing Department rules the roost...  and so there is no need to supply better quality equipment.

3. ...you have to spend several hundred pounds in high-quality hubs...

The more you spend the better you get - think cars ... Fiesta -> Focus -> Ferrari...  all great cars at very different prices - so find something that fits your needs and your budget and it will certainly be significantly better than any ISP supplied equipment.  You can get a decent starter wifi router for £40, a better one for about £80, sweet spot ~£150 - and the gamers and big users may go to £3-400 for top performance.  Wireless access  points can then be added f there are still dead spots.   A good Mesh starts around £80 with the sweet spot for 3 node system around £150-200.  Whilst £200-300 will get a good one for a 5 bedroom mansion.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Gee... I live in a bog standard 70s semi I didn't want to power the entire neighborhood... All I wanted was to cover a black spot in the kitchen/conservatory... If that equipment can't cope with that I'm not sure what's used for....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Impavidus59 wrote:

Gee... I live in a bog standard 70s semi I didn't want to power the entire neighborhood... All I wanted was to cover a black spot in the kitchen/conservatory... If that equipment can't cope with that I'm not sure what's used for....

Mainly wired speeds and connectivity.

Since that’s what’s paid for as part of your contract. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

See the thread below - worth a £50 punt ? Was £40 on Amazon but just gone up (still get it for £40 elsewhere) - some good reviews from VM users on there

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Superhub-3-Issues-resolved/td-p/4251813/pag...

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos