cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radio coverage interrupted

colinwebb
Joining in

I have Virgin media Gig1 broadband and it is linked to an Echo Show speaker for music streaming. Occasionally while listening to a radio station it cuts out but I can re-start it straight away. I have a suspicion this is something to do with next door’s internet. Is there any way of checking this in order to make alterations?

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What makes you think your neighbour's internet would affect your connection?

Others who have more broadband expertise can assist with your actual query, but I'm curious on this point. Edited - others have picked up what I was wondering about - wireless issues, rather than broadband connectivity issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I assume the Echo is connecting on wifi?  Can you try it on an ethernet cable connection?

On wifi, does the Echo connect on the 2.4 GHz or the 5GHz or is it capable of both.  Sometimes third party devices can struggle with VM's Smart/intelligent Wifi and so it needs modifying

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Run a Wifi survey on your property.  There are many wifi apps on the Google Play store.  It will show all the wifi channels and bands in the area.  It could well be the "intelligent Wifi" on the Hub is switching wifi channels to move away from your neighbours.  This will cause a disconnect for a short period.  You can switch off this optimisation and set your channels manually.  This will stop the Hub changing it.  However if your have the VM Pods you can't do this.

Have a read at this sticky Getting a better Wireless Network Signal - Virgin Media Community - 3170334

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@japitts wrote:

What makes you think your neighbour's internet would affect your connection?

Others who have more broadband expertise can assist with your actual query, but I'm curious on this point.

If your neighbours wifi is on a competing channel, the "intelligent" hub will try to move it's channel away from the competition.  This is expected behaviour and by design, however this will cause a blip on Wifi.  I can pick up wifi from my neighbours house, but I have my own AP's and they are set to avoid next door and don't change.

Client62
Legend

To fix a Hub with glitchy Wi-Fi ...

Disable : Smart Wi-Fi / aka Intelligent Wi-Fi / Channel Optimisation  ( yes turn it OFF )

Disable Auto Channels , on 2.4GHz use Channel 1 or 6 or 11 only.  On 5GHz use Channel 36 or 44.

These changes prevent a VM Hub in Router mode from stopping & then starting the WI-Fi at random intervals to change channels.

colinwebb
Joining in

Yes it’s connected by wi-if and I have vm pods so can’t cancel intelligent wi-fi. My wi-if signal is strong but I suspect next door’s wi-if is the problem.

Client62
Legend

You can disable intelligent in order to discover if it is your Hub at the root of the problem.  So long as you do not split the SSID of the 2.4 & 5 GHz channels the VM Pods should work on both bands.

The idea that next door's WI-Fi affects low bit rate radio channel streaming is for the birds.

colinwebb
Joining in

Further to my problem with Echo Show dropping internet and suspecting this was a wi-fi problem I decided to connect it by Ethernet. However having successfully got a wired connection I still have the same problem. I am lost now.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Interesting about the Ethernet even though it’s not officially supported. However do all radio stations drop or just one in particular?