cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: Intelligent WiFi Pod

Enduser
Fibre optic

I have had three Intelligent WiFi Pods for some time not but during the last week I noticed that in a room where I have one the WiFi speed at my Android phone had dropped off considerably, so low that it was not possible to browse.  When I rebooted the router things improved for a while but then the speed soon dropped off again.

As an experiment I swapped the problem one out with another in a different room and things improved drastically. I checked the problem pod in the new location and again the speed at my device was just the same, very poor.

I can only assume that the pod has gone defective, therefore please may I have another one to replace it. I know that I could probably phone someone about this but I am happy to wait until a member of the forum team picks this up.

Many thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

Client62
Legend

Remember it is the Android phone that is picking the Wireless Access point to use.  In this case it has a choice of 8 to pick from 4x 2.4Ghz and 4x 5Ghz.   Wireless devices can make quite  perverse choices resulting in poor performance when a distant Hub or VM Pod is selected over a closer one.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Personally I would suspect the Intelligent Wifi is not doing a great job of roaming. There have been several posts here around the same issue of poor choice of Pods or Hub.  I don't have any such issues with my non VM access points.  All the mobile kit can wander around the property seamlessly, from one point to another.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"in a room where I have one the WiFi speed at my Android phone"

A small point. You should never have a pod in the same room as the target device, it should be mid way between the hub and the target device. If it’s in the same room, it would just get the same strength WiFi signal as the device.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Enduser
Fibre optic

I don't fully understand the replies, which is probably my fault. All I know is that everything was working fine until recently and when I swapped the pods over the problem was resolved.

So all I can deduce is that the pod has failed, so please may I have a new one .

Hi @Enduser 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the Pod issue. Tudor is correct, the Pod should never be in the same room as the device unless needed. Should be at the Mid-way point between the hub and the room. 

Can you confirm if the below applies;

•    The Hub must be in 'Router Mode' and not have been changed to 'Modem Mode'.
•    Channel Optimisation must be left on.
•    The SSIDs must be the same and broadcast enabled.
•    The SSID must be password protected.
•    The Passphrases of the SSIDs must match.

This link should also help with the Pod in question 👉 https://www.virginmedia.com/help/setup/intelligentwifipod

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Ive recently disabled a netgear mesh as no matter what I did it would just reboot randomly but it have 250mbs throughout the house. I got hold of two wifi pods and they appear to be worse. Without I have around 40mbs in my living room, with a wifi pod it drops to 20mbs. As soon as I plug the other in it drops and seems to wipe out everything. When it does work I seem to have full strength but the wifi is super slow. My house house has three floors with the main router in the loft office so need to extend the wifi down with a pod on each level. I've tried the forums, and all the settings are as above but sadly it's looking like a con. 

Hello John,

This is the first that I have heard the the pod should not be in the same room as the device.  I have have mine in the same room as the device[s] ever since I got them, which is some time ago now, it is not practicable for them to be anywhere else, certainly not between the router and the device.

All the settings in the router are the same as they were when it was set up some years ago, in fact I have never altered any setting in the router, nor have I felt the need to. All I know is that the speed in one room dropped almost to nothing and when I swapped the pod for another a few days ago the problem was resolved, and has remained resolved, so far anyway. I did check the speed at the location where I put the suspect pod and it was very poor, as before.

So I can only presume that the pod is at fault.

Hi @Enduser 

Thanks for coming back to me. The reason for not in the same room is to get the best use of the Pods 🙂

Can you try the link I sent please which should help solve the Pod issue.

Keep me posted.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I have followed the link as you have suggested. The problem still exists because the pod has gone faulty !