cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questionable speed reading

Oldmanmark
Joining in

So to use the new Wi-Fi Guarantee you have to use the speed test on the Virgin Connect app. I dutifully downloaded that, logged in and tested. Apparently, Virgin are delivering 219 Mbps which is just over the limit at which they act. But the Ookla speed test we’ve always used registered a piffling 3.98 Mbps!

Whilst Ookla may not be completely optimised, I suggest that it’s unlikely to underread by 215 Mbps. Incidentally, high usage apps (eg Netflix) do not seem to burst into life…

Whats the point of a useless guarantee?

5 REPLIES 5

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Oldmanmark.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with your speeds.

We tend to not use Ookla any more as its not very accurate.

What we do use to measure speed to the Hub is Samknows

This will measure the actual speed to the Hub.

Can you please give this a go and let me know what the results are.

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth, thanks for your response. Samknows does give a better reading than Ookla but still 90 MBps less than your app at 129 vs 219 in the room with the router, let alone in the office at the back of the house. So still not covered by your guarantee. Gotta be honest, not very impressed with your app! Got any suggestions?

Oldmanmark_0-1664576486105.png

Oldmanmark_1-1664576524565.png

Thank you for confirming this @Oldmanmark

Do you have any rooms in the home that do not get 20mbps as shown on our app? If so, do these areas when scanned are showing as having weak signal or a black spot area for WiFi? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley, sorry for taking an ages to get back to you. Your app reports 273MBps whether next to the router or in the bedroom (1 Wi-Fi bar). Conversely, SamKnows reports 64 MBps next to the router and 9 MBps in the bedroom. I’m still not convinced by the veracity of your app’s results, to the uninitiated it looks a bit like the VW exhaust testing: the results change when the system knows it’s under test. 

6D60EE15-2DD9-495C-9499-6249DFC76237.pngEB2CF294-5854-4399-A7F1-CCAE7586BB2A.png1E051AB7-3AFF-418C-B5EA-27DBA30344C9.pngC2A75D11-BE45-4B1F-8831-200550360CF2.png

Hey Oldmanmark, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are still having some issues with the speeds.

I have taken a look from our side and I have run some speed tests and I have down you are getting a solid speed 263.41 MBS on average.

I can see it slipped once last week however that only went down to 181MBS.

How has the connection been over the weekend? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?